Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: August 9, 2011
Attending: Anoop Atre, Lutz Biedinger, Demian Katz, Eoghan Ó Carragáin, Sean Purcell, Ernie Simuro, David Uspal
1. VuFind 1.2 Release
VuFind 1.2 was released as scheduled on August 1. A few minor bugs have already been found and fixed in the trunk, but no huge problems yet. Please let Demian know if you encounter any problems with the latest upgrade.
2. New/Updated JIRA Tickets
- VUFIND-369 - Bulk RefWorks export has been committed to the trunk.
- VUFIND-414 - Demian's patch from this ticket to prevent users from attempting to bulk export records in unsupported formats has been committed to the trunk.
- VUFIND-424 - Anna Headley's enhanced Syndetics functionality patch has been committed to the trunk.
- VUFIND-427 - A reminder to build upgrade tools for VuFind 1.3 when the time comes.
- VUFIND-428 - A bug was discovered involving the way VuFind uses phrase searching when dealing with wildcards; this ticket has all the details, including some proposed fixes.
- VUFIND-429 - This ticket addresses a problem in the blueprint theme with dots in record IDs (a common annoyance for Innovative users); the fix has been applied to the trunk, but please let Demian know if the problem manifests itself anywhere else.
- VUFIND-430 - The blueprint theme had some bugs related to the way filters are displayed on the advanced search screen; this ticket includes a patch to correct the problem, and the patch has been committed to the trunk.
- VUFIND-431 - This ticket suggested eliminating a dynamic function in the Unicorn driver, but after some discussion, we decided to close it without taking any action.
- VUFIND-432 - This patch updates bookcover.php to account for the optional config.local.ini override file; it has been committed to the trunk.
- VUFIND-433 - This patch has notes on giving VuFind its own PEAR installation to avoid conflicts with other applications; this will no longer be an issue in the new 2.0 architecture, but it may be worth improving the situation with 1.x in the meantime – please comment here if you have an opinion.
- VUFIND-434 - The database upgrade script in VuFind 1.2 didn't account for config.local.ini; a patch to fix the problem is posted here and has been committed to the trunk to improve future upgrade scripts.
- VUFIND-435 - A minor bug fix for the Unicorn driver; committed.
- VUFIND-436 - A bug has been reported in the book preview (Google/HathiTrust/OpenLibrary) code; Eoghan has fixed it.
- VUFIND-438 - Demian just discovered a bug in the Blueprint theme – the bulk delete feature in lists does not work correctly. A fix has been committed and a patch is available in JIRA.
3. Solr 3.x Update
Still waiting for a SolrMarc release – no news yet.
4. Architecture Improvements
Demian is still working on the 2.0 branch – some more tricky problems (advanced search and saving search history) have been largely solved in the new architecture. There will be a new Villanova grad assistant starting this Fall who will help with porting some of the remaining functionality.
5. New Mobile Theme
No news this time around.
6. Cart Functionality
Luke has once again updated the cart patch based on the previous call's discussion.
Major changes are:
- The auto add to cart function has been removed in favor of an update cart button
- The update cart button has been added to favorite lists
- Bulk favorites actions now go through Cart/Bulk.php
- A print option has been added to Favorites
Things which still need to be done are:
- Add some kind of indication (flash message) that the cart was updated
- At present, if the items on the page are in the Cart, they will be removed – better behavior is probably needed
Luke is willing to share the patch with anyone who is interested in trying it.
Demian will try to update the trunk demo to the latest patch, but it may not happen right away since he will be on paternity leave soon.
7. Other Topics?
Lutz has begun work on a collection module (related to VUFIND-421) and will post a patch to JIRA in the next week or two for comment.
Demian is unable to attend the next call, but Dave Uspal will run it in his absence.
The next call will be Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 11am Eastern Daylight Time (GMT - 4:00).