Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: March 6, 2012
Attending: Filipe Bento, Demian Katz, Benjamin Mosior, Luke O'Sullivan, Roni Shwaish, Ernie Simuro
1. New/Updated JIRA Tickets
- VUFIND-340 - A proposal for improved security has been posted here – please read and comment if you are interested.
- VUFIND-386 - Two new versions of the Aleph driver have been posted here since the last call.
- VUFIND-396 - The original solution to this ticket was causing confusion (getDescription and getSummary methods had similar intent but different behavior); the two methods have now been merged to simplify matters.
- VUFIND-495 - Users of the ILS authentication option can now configure which ILS field is used for generating the VuFind username; a patch is available here.
- VUFIND-508 - Additional work has been done on fixing problems with unusual characters in Solr IDs; a second patch has been posted here.
- VUFIND-512 - This ticket requests a configurable option to control call number display on the holdings tab (currently it is at the location level, but sometimes it may be needed at the item level).
- VUFIND-514 - Some Solr boosts using the bf Dismax parameter were not working correctly; a patch has been posted here to solve the problem (through better escaping).
- VUFIND-515 - Similar item listings were not accounting for hidden filters; a patch has been posted here to solve the problem.
- VUFIND-516 - This ticket provides a patch to improve the install process (Linux-only) by filling in paths in config.ini automatically. It has been committed.
- VUFIND-517 - This ticket includes a patch to fix a cart-related bug (removing the last item in the cart from record view would corrupt the cookie). If you use the cart in VuFind 1.3, you should probably take the time to make this fix.
- VUFIND-518 - This ticket provides a Smarty plug-in to enable image inheritance in themes; it has been committed, but it is not actually used by the existing themes yet.
- VUFIND-519 - This ticket proposes configurable options for pre-filling VuFind's email forms (i.e. automatic from address matching current user, etc.)
- VUFIND-520 - This ticket proposes a mechanism for allowing users to disable autocomplete from the client side.
2. VuFind 2.0 Update
Chris has done significant work on the blueprint theme to eliminate problems caused by strange record IDs being used to generate HTML element IDs. Now the AJAX code uses more stable mechanisms for passing values around.
Demian has finished implementing the cart in 2.0. All bulk actions are functional, and the code is a lot simpler than in 1.x – also more flexible, since you can mix and match records from all of the modules.
Demian is making good progress on implementing the Summon module – several details (checkbox facets, recommendation modules, etc.) still need to be fixed, but basic searches are already returning and displaying results.
3. ILS Driver Settings in Index
Luke suggested that it might make sense to control ILS driver loading from a field in the Solr index rather than through config.ini. This way, multiple ILSes can be more easily supported, and records that are not linked to an ILS can be handled more appropriately. We should consider adopting this approach in VuFind 2.0.
4. New Mobile Theme
Villanova is going to begin developing its own mobile theme shortly (based on jquerymobile); perhaps this will lead to some new fixes and additions. For now, though, no news.
Filipe reported some problems with refine search functionality in jquerymobile when running VuFind under CentOS; he did not see the same problems under Ubuntu.
5. VuFind Developers Summit 2012
No new developments since last time, but Demian will keep this item on the agenda for future calls to field questions and provide updates as they develop. Don't forget to complete the survey if you haven't already.
6. Next Call Time: 10am vs. 11am Eastern
We agreed to move the call time from 11am to 10am for future calls. Because of the impending arrival of Daylight Time on the East coast, the next call time may be confusing for some people in different time zones. Please check times carefully against your local time!
7. Other Topics?
Progress has continued on the collection branch dealing with hierarchical collection data within VuFind. Demian has begun working on tools to load VuDL collection data into VuFind. There are still many details to sort through, but the basic Solr schema seems to be settling into place, and progress is constantly being made. If anyone with hierarchical collections would like to test the new branch, please do so – the more systems we try it with, the more flexible the code will become.
The next call will be Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 10am Eastern Daylight Time (GMT - 4:00).