Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: September 4, 2012
Attending: Filipe Bento, Demian Katz, David Maus, Benjamin Mosior, Tod Olson, Sean Purcell, Roni Shwaish
1. New/Updated JIRA Tickets
- VUFIND-538 - A bug was found in the authority recommendation module; a fix is posted here (and has been committed to trunk / 2.0 master).
- VUFIND-611 - The timeout problem noted here turns out to be Windows-specific; some comments have been added accordingly. David will provide more information on php.ini settings when time permits.
- VUFIND-621 - This ticket points out that VuFind 1.x's jquerymobile theme has no list editing/creation support. The functionality is added in 2.0, so the ticket has been closed.
- VUFIND-635 - A revised Clickatell patch has been posted.
- VUFIND-637 - This ticket has been opened to collect all the settings that we might want to store in user accounts to allow customization of the VuFind experience. It incorporates the earlier VUFIND-279 and VUFIND-614 tickets. If there are any potentially useful account settings that are not already listed here, please add them as comments. Tod expects to investigate this issue and add some comments.
- VUFIND-638 - This ticket discusses how to control PHP error reporting levels in VuFind; since no new problems are introduced by the ticket, it has been closed.
- VUFIND-639 - This ticket points out that the Voyager driver does not currently account for active/expire dates for course reserves. A partial patch is provided which improves (but doesn't completely solve) the issue.
- VUFIND-640 - VuFind 2.0 loses highlighting functionality in the WorldCat module. This ticket is a reminder to reimplement it if we really want it.
- VUFIND-641 - Some inconsistent (but apparently harmless) behavior related to VuFind's Solr shard functionality is noted here – we should clean this up when time permits.
- VUFIND-642 - This ticket proposes adding a manual alternative to the automatic database updating performed by 2.0's install and upgrade scripts (for users without direct root access to MySQL).
2. VuFind 2.0 Update
There has been some recent discussion on the Zend Framework mailing list about namespace names and the PSR-0 standard. The wording of the standard implies that all software from a vendor should have the same top-level namespace, but the Zend community has interpreted this to mean that the top-level namespace should CONTAIN the string, but may also include a suffix.
VuFind originally took this very literally – there was a VuFind\CLI module, and the tests all liveed in VuFind\Test. However, Demian is now considering rearranging things to have multiple top-level namespaces, as it may clean up the organization of the code slightly. He has already moved VuFind\CLI to VuFindConsole (a definite win on clarity) and is considering changing VuFind\Test to VuFindTest when time permits.
Demian is now working on using Zend Framework's service manager component to power most of VuFind's plugin interfaces, which will make the software much more flexible and extensible. This will require a significant amount of refactoring.
So far, authentication and session handlers are fully supported through the new mechanism. The ILS spec has been revised slightly in preparation for ILS-related changes. Benjamin is working out how to apply these changes to the 2.0 version of the multi-backend driver.
In parallel with plugin work, Demian is also slowly updating the wiki documentation to reflect 2.0 issues. He also hopes to write a blog post about service managers soon; in the meantime, Benjamin pointed out this post.
The latest release of the framework, RC7, addresses the remaining outstanding database problems that were preventing VuFind from being fully functional. Demian will update Git shortly. The final ZF 2.0 will probably be released very soon. VuFind 2.0beta is also now feature-complete, thanks to Chris' help getting statistics up to speed. Demian is planning an October 1 release for 2.0beta. There is obviously a lot more work to do to refactor and clean up, but it's probably time to release an official demo that people can play with.
David expects to finish his Solr refactoring soon and will submit a pull request.
3. VuFind Developers Summit 2012
A schedule has been added to the VuFind Summit 2012 page; talk titles will be filled in once all proposals are reviewed (soon).
No lightning talk/breakout ideas have been submitted yet – please contribute if you have ideas.
4. Open Data / Shared Central Index
Filipe has added a section for InTech Open eBooks.
5. Other Topics?
Some discussion came up of the Z39.50 breakout idea – this has to do with creating a generic ILS driver plug-in to pull status information over Z39.50 instead of using native ILS mechanisms. The topic came up on the mailing lists. Tod offered to discuss this further if people need more input, though he will not be at the summit. He also mentioned SRU as another applicable protocol.
This also led to some discussion of OLE/VuFind integration, which will probably rely on NCIP and SRU/SRW. Z39.50 may also be available via a bridge application.
The next call will be Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 10am Eastern Daylight Time (14:00 GMT).