Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: April 2, 2013
Attending: Filipe Bento, Goetz Hatop, Demian Katz, David Maus, Benjamin Mosior, Luke O'Sullivan, Jay Roos
1. New/Updated JIRA Tickets
- VUFIND-768 - NewGenLib ILS driver holds functionality is in progress here.
- VUFIND-769 - This ticket addresses inconsistency in facet sorting behavior between Solr 3 and Solr 4. Fixed.
- VUFIND-770 - This ticket fixes a small limitation of the translation code (the string “0” could not be translated). Resolved.
- VUFIND-771 - This patch adds some additional customization options to the hierarchy tree. Take a look and vote if you think it should be committed.
- VUFIND-772 - This ticket provides a CLI tool to generate hierarchy XML manually; vote if you think these tools should be bundled into VuFind.
- VUFIND-773 - This ticket provides a patch to prevent disabled caches from breaking searchspecs loading; Demian thought this was already fixed and will investigate soon.
- VUFIND-774 - This patch improves Table of Contents behavior in the MARC record driver; Demian will take a look (and probably commit) soon.
- VUFIND-775 - This patch adds configurable status handling to the Horizon driver; Demian will take a look (and probably commit) soon.
- VUFIND-776 - This patch adds getNewItems capabilities to the Horizon driver; Demian will review and likely commit soon.
- VUFIND-777 - This ticket proposes making default tab configurable on a record driver by record driver basis.
2. VuFind 2.0 Update
Demian has continued working on search refactoring. It should be possible to merge the search-refactor branch into master soon.
Demian plans to eliminate the current “search manager” to make generation of Options/Params/Results more standardized.
David has been thinking about Solr write operations and whether they belong in the current VuFindSearch module or whether they are best treated as a separate service. Since none of the other backends are likely to have write operations, this separation of concerns seems to make sense, and it also allows VuFind-specific details (like ChangeTracker functionality) to be incorporated more easily. The challenge is to avoid redundancy; subclassing or the decorator pattern may be options for using the existing connector class while still keeping write functionality separate from the VuFindSearch module. Also potentially viable is simply putting the write operations in the main connector but not using them elsewhere in VuFindSearch (though this approach would still require a VuFind-specific subclass for adding ChangeTracker details outside of the VuFindSearch module).
We've tentatively decided to try the last approach (write operations in main connector w/ subclass); David will implement the base class and Demian will work on the subclass.
There was some discussion of what parameters get sent to the new save() method: an XML string? a SimpleXMLElement object? an object conforming to an interface that can reduce to XML? What about supporting the JSON serialization now that there's a JSON save handler in the default VuFind configuration? We will aim for an XML-only design for RC1 (in the interest of time), but JSON should be added in the near future.
We have set April 29 as the target release date for RC1. After that, we will allow a month or two for testing and feedback before hopefully rolling into full 2.0 (though perhaps we can do an RC2 if there are enough outstanding issues to justify it).
3. Linked Data
We didn't have time for this topic this week.
4. Other Topics?
The wiki has been upgraded to Release 2012-10-13 “Adora Belle”.
Benjamin brought up the subject of caching holdings information in Solr; several possible approaches to the problem were discussed. Because of a shortage of time, this conversation will likely continue on the mailing list.
Filipe will perform accessibility testing with JAWS in the near future.
Filipe also shared some links related to open data (not to be confused with linked data):
The next call will be Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 10am Eastern Daylight Time (14:00 GMT).