About Features Downloads Getting Started Documentation Events Support GitHub

Site Tools


developers_call:minutes20130416

VuFind Developers Call Minutes: April 16, 2013

Attending: Filipe Bento, Chris Fishburn, Demian Katz, David Maus, Benjamin Mosior, Tod Olson, Luke O'Sullivan, Sean Purcell, Al Rykhus

Agenda

1. New/Updated JIRA Tickets

  • VUFIND-308 - Luke has posted a 2.0 version of the QR code patch.
  • VUFIND-773 / VUFIND-780 - A dummy cache object has been introduced to allow a cleaner solution to the “behave normally with disabled searchspecs cache” problem.
  • VUFIND-774 - Improved MARC table of contents handling has been committed.
  • VUFIND-776 - Horizon getNewItems() functionality has been committed.
  • VUFIND-778 - This ticket discusses obtaining order information through the ILS driver.
  • VUFIND-779 - This ticket is part of the new search refactoring and has been resolved.
  • VUFIND-781 - This ticket proposes more granular URL retrieval from MARC records.
  • VUFIND-782 - This ticket proposes a new search backend feature to “probe” result set sizes.
  • VUFIND-783 - This ticket proposes a “dashboard” view for the MyResearch module (and includes a patch).
  • VUFIND-784 - This ticket proposes a CSS improvement related to cover images; Demian will review shortly.

2. VuFind 2.0 Update

The search-refactor branch has been rebased onto master, so David's new search system is now in place. Be sure to clear your cache before pulling the latest code. More cleanup will take place over the next couple of weeks leading up to the RC1 release.

We discussed improving exception handling (see discussion on VUFIND-762). We agreed on replacing isParseError() method with a custom RequestParseErrorException that subclasses RequestErrorException.

We discussed Solr 4 upgrade issues – still waiting for SolrMarc team to get direct index writing with Solr 4. Should we continue waiting for a direct write solution, or should we change VuFind defaults to use HTTP indexing so that we can proceed?

Tod mentioned trade-offs of HTTP approach (performance can actually improve, but there are issues with failures being incorrectly detected). It seems that we should deal with the error handling issues before committing fully to HTTP. Tod will provide some sample MARC files to demonstrate the problem, and Demian will send a note to the SolrMarc list to confirm the current state of the art.

3. Linked Data

No news this week.

4. Other Topics?

No news this week.

Next Call

The next call will be Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 10am Eastern Daylight Time (14:00 GMT).

developers_call/minutes20130416.txt · Last modified: 2014/06/13 13:14 (external edit)