Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: September 17, 2013
Attending: Filipe Bento, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Benjamin Mosior, Tod Olson, Al Rykhus, Dan Scott
1. Recent Development History
- VUFIND-777 - This ticket has been resolved, so it is now possible to configure default tabs on a record driver by record driver basis in module.config.php.
- VUFIND-881 - This ticket is designed to capture discussion of recommendation module redesign; please comment.
- VUFIND-882 - This ticket fixes a problem with the interaction of combined search and breadcrumbs.
- VUFIND-883 - This ticket makes search memory a Zend Framework service, reducing use of statics in the codebase.
- VUFIND-884 - This ticket addresses a significant bug in the AJAX mode of combined search.
- VUFIND-886 - This ticket improves post-login redirection.
- VUFIND-887 - This ticket proposes allowing the stats system to ignore hits by web crawlers.
- VUFIND-893 - This ticket reports a problem with the way some dates are generated in VuFind when updating the database – it has been fixed in master.
2. Development Updates/Planning
Because of some significant bug fixes related to combined search, a 2.1.1 release has been made. New minor bug fixes continue to be added to the release-2.1 branch as discovered.
A first draft of the Bootstrap theme has been pushed to master. This theme has styling stripped down as far as possible, and it also features a redesigned lightbox system which requires less redundant logic in the theme and the controller. Please give it a test run and report any problems in JIRA – because this is such a substantial redesign, cross-browser testing would be greatly appreciated at this point. Also be aware that significant revisions may still take place as we work through the process of extending this base theme to match our local customizations – it is possible that more hooks will need to be added to make the theme easier to style and extend.
Now that the Bootstrap theme draft is complete, we can move forward on the existing RDFa pull request. Dan will port RDFa code into Bootstrap.
Goals for 2.2
VUFIND-546 has been open for quite some time – it proposes using TrieDateFields instead of DateFields in VuFind's schema. This should have no effect on existing behavior but will allow some additional function queries and may improve performance. The only downside is forcing a reindex.
The group agreed to go ahead and try this – Demian will work on it shortly.
This is probably the next major project on the Villanova side.
3. VuFind Summit 2013
Some talk proposals are beginning to come in, but we still have room for more – please submit if you haven't already.
4. Other Topics?
Dan brought up the subject of Solr tuning, which has been a major theme on the mailing lists lately. Benjamin suggested that creating some jmeter load-testing documentation would be helpful – he will begin putting some notes into the wiki. Tod also offered to contribute when possible. When some notes are collected, we should reach out to other Solr users (e.g. Blacklight community) to compare suggestions.
Demian is currently investigating whether use of the cURL adapter in ZF can help work around some of the recent SSL complaints.
The next call will be Tuesday, October 1, 2013 at 10am Eastern Daylight Time (14:00 GMT).