Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: January 7, 2014
Attending: Chris Hallberg, Anna Headley, Demian Katz, David Maus, Tod Olson, Sean Purcell, Ben Wiens
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-95 - This ticket, about improving statistics module browser detection, was addressed at the 2.0 release and has just now been closed.
- VUFIND-221 - Book cover caching behavior is now configurable.
- VUFIND-339 - This ticket, suggesting more access points to the “create list” functionality, was resolved some time ago and was just now closed.
- VUFIND-372 - Confirm dialogs have been standardized, as per this ticket.
- VUFIND-563 - The Bootstrap theme now uses the <mark> tag for highlighting to better make use of the HTML5 standard.
- VUFIND-939 - MyResearch menu reorganization has been completed.
- VUFIND-940 - This cosmetic Bootstrap theme bug has been fixed.
- VUFIND-942 - This ticket discusses improvements to .gitignore settings.
- VUFIND-943 - This ticket proposes an improvement to the way install.php suggests symlink names for Apache configurations; the suggestion has been implemented.
- VUFIND-944 - This ticket reports an advanced search bug that Demian is unable to reproduce; if anyone else can spot the problem, please comment here.
- VUFIND-945 - This ticket fixes a small translation bug (committed).
- VUFIND-946 - This ticket discusses the possibility of adding title-level hold links to search results.
Some recent pull requests are related to tickets resolved above; they are not listed below to avoid redundancy.
- #60 - This PR cleans up some inconsistent use of translation helpers in the view templates – merged.
- #61 - This PR refactors the admin module and adds Luke's tag management functions – merged.
- #62 - This PR makes place hold functionality more stable by fixing a problem with ILS drivers lacking getDefaultPickUpLocation() support.
- #63 - This PR points out obsolete CVS $ID lines in some of the SolrMarc files; however, since SolrMarc files are loaded as vendor files from an external project, changing them here would not be helpful, and the PR has been closed without resolution.
- #65 - This PR makes some improvements to searchspecs.yaml – ISBN/ISSN are now searched in AllFields, a small typo has been fixed, and it is possible to set up different settings for use with phrase searches vs. non-phrase searches. Merged.
2. Development Planning
The admin code has been refactored to its own module. Right now, this is hard-coded to be on in config/application.config.php, but we may eventually want to turn it off by default and require it to be activated through Apache configuration.
In addition to refactoring, the admin module has been expanded to include tag management functionality courtesy of Luke O'Sullivan. If you have a chance, please give this a try and report bugs prior to the 2.2 release!
Some lightbox adjustments have been made, but this is getting fairly stable – please test one more time so we can release a good base version in 2.2!
The lightbox.js file has been updated with extensive documentation.
A functioning test environment is set up at Keystone Library Network. The Boston College Library Records have been imported (after changing 004 to 001 with MarcEdit). These modified records can be shared if anyone else wants them (ask Ben Wiens via vufind-tech). The test index now has 2,114,167 records. filterCache testing will begin soon to see if we can reduce the huge size of the cache in our default configuration (it may be causing some problems).
The code is frozen (bug fixes only) for now so we don't introduce new bugs prior to the release. Language file updates are in progress. Demian is working on expanding test coverage. Unresolved tickets have been pushed forward to 2.3.
Call Number Normalization
There are a couple of JIRA tickets related to call number normalization: VUFIND-598 (normalize at index-time for improved sorting) and VUFIND-657 (add custom Solr analyzer for LC call numbers). The base indexing logic from VUFIND-598 will be available as of release 2.2; it is unclear whether it's a good idea to make VUFIND-657 part of the mainline code.
Tod is working on adding more flexible normalization logic to the AlphaBrowse code. There is currently a single hard-coded normalizer, but Tod is working on making this overrideable for unusual fields (like call numbers).
The next step in Tod's work is to build custom normalizers for Dewey Decimal and LC call numbers.
Question: where does the normalization logic go? Currently lives in SolrMarc, could also live in Solr plug-in, now we're also looking at adding it to AlphaBrowse.
Starting point: Tod will talk to the solrmarc-tech list about interest in spinning off a call number library and/or rearranging the call number code in SolrMarc. Depending on feedback, he may look into building browse normalizers using code imported from SolrMarc to avoid redundancy.
Next step: create a Git project for VUFIND-657 code after decisions about normalization library are made.
3. Other Topics?
David is still working on a couple of tickets and hopes to complete them for 2.3 or 2.4.
The next call will be Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 10am Eastern Standard Time (15:00 GMT).