About Features Downloads Getting Started Documentation Events Support

Site Tools


developers_call:minutes20140624

VuFind Developers Call Minutes: June 24, 2014

Attending: Filipe Bento, Judy Brink-Drescher, Chris Delis, Chris Hallberg, Anna Headley, Demian Katz, Markus Mächler, Benjamin Mosior, Ben Wiens

Agenda

1. Development Updates

JIRA Tickets

  • VUFIND-988 - This ticket mentions an issue with Shibboleth and SSL. It may not be possible to solve this from the VuFind side, but please comment if you have ideas.
  • VUFIND-989 - This ticket tracks a small bug (highlighting cannot be disabled) in the new EDS code.
  • VUFIND-990, VUFIND-991 - These tickets propose new functionality for the admin module (a cache clearing tool and a user manager).
  • VUFIND-992 - Basic Chicago Style citations have been added to the “Cite This” pop-up.
  • VUFIND-993 - This ticket tracks changes in the Google Analytics API. Feel free to comment with suggestions on the upcoming transition.
  • VUFIND-994 - This ticket is designed to collect comments on the Bootstrap 3 theme, since the previous VUFIND-987 ticket is so filled with migration notes that there is little room for discussion.

Pull Requests

  • #165 - Merged: this PR makes some adjustments relating to VuFind's handling of MARC 785 fields with an indicator2 of 7 – the “Merged with … to form …” case.
  • #166 - In progress: this PR contains CARLI's implementation of consortial features. Please take a look and share your comments. (Chris D. discussed some details of this with Demian during the call).
  • #167 - In progress: this PR contains discussion of VUFIND-78, the “hide tabs with no content” feature request. The implementation here needs to be made more generic for inclusion in master; Demian may do some related refactoring soon.
  • #168 - Merged: a small EDS bug fix.
  • #169 - In progress: a proposal to add display support for the MARC 752 (hierarchical place name) tag.

2. Development Planning

Call Number Normalization

Luke has posted a revised call number handler on VUFIND-657, but it now has more dependencies than before due to changes in Solr architecture.

Eliminating -Xms from Solr Java Options

Following further discussion, it was decided that we probably should leave defaults as-is but provide better documentation/advice on determining proper Solr memory allocations. Any volunteers to help with this?

Bootstrap 3

Chris H. has continued work on this new theme. Good, fast progress due to good design of Bootstrap 3. Demian is now working on testing, trying to break. Please comment on VUFIND-994 as previously noted. Chris is also interested in hearing what people do with the expanded capabilities of a theme that uses modern HTML/CSS. Current challenge in progress: dealing with the way LESS writes CSS files to disk.

Idea: create command line tool to generate compiled LESS rather than doing it on the fly.

Some discussion of LESS vs. SASS/SCSS: right now, easy to maintain both as they are very similar.

Migration notes are being collected in JIRA. Chris will compile/reorganize and post to wiki prior to 2.3 release.

Code can be tried on Chris' GitHub account.

3. Marketing

More work has been done on the revised current users page. Waiting for Chris to get access to Subversion repository containing old website/wiki so he can begin retheming work in earnest. In the meantime, feel free to fill in missing information in the revised current users page. Demian will make this live once some of the other details have been sorted out.

4. 2014 VuFind Summit

There was discussion about whether there should be a 2014 VuFind Summit and what it should look like. Demian does not have specific structured activities in mind, but last year's free-form hackfest was very productive. Open question: are there structured activities people are specifically interested in, and if not, would an unstructured event be worth the expense/travel?

Filipe mentioned that he will be attending this conference.

It was suggested that Demian could talk about Zend Framework and VuFind's use of it – Demian would be willing. Ben volunteered to talk about Solr cache optimization.

Demian will go over more details on the Villanova end, then put together a survey/call for proposals to share on the mailing lists.

5. Other Topics?

No other items this week.

Next Call

The next call will be Tuesday, July 8, 2014 at 10am Eastern Daylight Time (14:00 GMT).

developers_call/minutes20140624.txt · Last modified: 2014/06/24 11:47 by bemosior