Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: July 8, 2014
Attending: Judy Brink-Drescher, Chris Delis, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-989 - The EDS “cannot disable highlighting” bug has been fixed.
- VUFIND-995 - This ticket discusses revision of Bootstrap theme lightbox code to use an event-driven approach (currently targeted for 2.4).
- VUFIND-996 - This ticket addresses a bug in the database-driven statistics code – resolved.
- VUFIND-997 - This ticket proposes improved error handling in the feedback module.
- VUFIND-998 - This ticket tracks a small improvement that needs to be made in the language files (to update a revised string across all languages).
- #170 - In progress: this PR contain's Demian's refactoring of third-party content logic (reviews, excerpts, etc.) to decouple logic from the view and make everything more modular.
- #171 - Merged: a small fix to indexing of latitude/longitude (note that fix currently affects .bsh only – we need to wait for the next SolrMarc release for global support).
- #172 - Merged: a fix for a duplicate [Social] section in config.ini.
2. Development Planning
At this point, all open tickets for 2.3 have been either pushed to the 2.4 or resolved, with the exception of translation updates (now in progress) and Bootstrap 3 feedback (in case of last minute concerns/problems). Demian plans to finish up a few more pull requests and then freeze development by next week. At that point, he will create a 2.3 release branch and only merge bug fixes there so that other development can proceed in master.
Call Number Normalization
No news this week.
The bootstrap3 and bootprint3 themes have been merged to master. The CSS for these themes is compiled from LESS. Tools are bundled in to allow either on-the-fly or command-line-triggered compilation of LESS, but by default, it is not necessary for end users to use LESS unless they want to.
Discussion for next time: should we add a theme configuration to enable/disable on-the-fly LESS compilation?
Discussion for next time: should we maintain SCSS support?
MySQL and UTF-8
Tod pointed out that MySQL only supports up to 3-byte UTF-8 characters by default. 4-byte support can be enabled but has some trade-offs as described here.
Deferred until next time due to low attendance.
Eoghan completed an experiment to convert Dokuwiki into GitHub pages and determined that the results are inferior to the original. Recommendation: stick with Dokuwiki for now.
Chris is currently in the process of revising the main website pages on GitHub and will be looking at wiki theming soon.
4. 2014 VuFind Summit
Demian is still working on getting approval for the 2014 summit. It may take a few more weeks to get all the detailed sorted out.
5. Other Topics?
Ben and Benjamin from Keystone Library Network will be moving on to other positions and will no longer be attending these calls. Demian wishes them both good luck!
The next call will be Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 10am Eastern Daylight Time (14:00 GMT).