Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: July 22, 2014
Attending: Filipe Bento, Chris Hallberg, Anna Headley, Demian Katz
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-78 - It is now possible to hide empty review/excerpt tabs by checking APIs in advance (off by default due to performance concerns).
- VUFIND-345 - This ticket (dealing with displaying favorite list information on the record view) was actually resolved long ago but nobody closed it. Closed now!
- VUFIND-469 - The Date\Converter class is now used in search history for more consistent, configurable rendering of times and dates.
- VUFIND-789 - Added support for cover loading based on UPC and/or OCLC number in addition to ISBN/ISSN.
- VUFIND-852 - This ticket points out a non-functional WorldCat config option; that option has now been removed.
- VUFIND-999 - This ticket proposes some extensions to VuFind's console capabilities.
- VUFIND-1000 - This ticket proposes an option to allow pre-filtering facet value checkboxes on the search/home screen.
- VUFIND-1003 - This ticket addresses a Voyager bug. Resolved.
- VUFIND-1004 - This ticket addresses an incompatibility between the “recover password” option and the ChoiceAuth module. Resolved.
- VUFIND-1005 - This ticket offers a view helper for loading content out of the help text template area. Demian will review soon.
- VUFIND-1006 - This ticket reports a cosmetic issue in the bootstrap-based themes. Resolved.
- #174 - Merged: this PR adds some functionality to the SwitchQuery recommendation module.
- #176 - Merged: this PR adds locale awareness to number formatting.
- #177 - In progress: this PR suggests taking advantage of the ZF2 translator's “TextDomain” function for namespacing translation strings. Further discussion is needed – please comment if interested.
2. Development Planning
Demian has established the release-2.3 branch. All bug fixes and remaining improvements for 2.3 will be implemented on this branch and merged to master. All development outside the scope of the 2.3 release will be done directly against master.
Call Number Normalization
No news this week.
Discussion: should we maintain SCSS support?
Right now, LESS support is better in the PHP ecosystem than SCSS support. The call was generally in favor of eliminating SCSS support for now – we'll consult with Luke O'Sullivan (who might be using it) before removing it – perhaps he will help us improve support, but if he doesn't object to its removal, we'll just get rid of it.
MySQL and UTF-8
Tod pointed out that MySQL only supports up to 3-byte UTF-8 characters by default. 4-byte support can be enabled but has some trade-offs as described here.
No strong opinions on this call. Demian will open a JIRA ticket to track this and allow deeper discussion. A reminder will also be sent to vufind-tech to solicit input.
Chris has begun applying new styles (from his design document) to wiki. Some color choices needed to be adjusted (backgrounds too bright, etc.).
Good progress: tables are now readable, for example. Table sorting still in progress.
The main web page is going to be hosted on GitHub pages – also a work in progress.
4. 2014 VuFind Summit
No news yet – Demian hopes to meet soon to make sure the library can host the event this year. More information once that is done.
5. Other Topics?
None this week.
The next call will be Tuesday, August 5, 2014 at 10am Eastern Daylight Time (14:00 GMT).