Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: October 28, 2014
Attending: Filipe Bento, Chris Delis, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-404 - There has been some renewed conversation on this old ticket proposing a record tab for social media integration.
- VUFIND-1029 - VuFind is now compatible with LibGuides v2; some minor configuration changes are needed. There may be the possibility of a more robust implementation in the future to take advantage of new v2 features; for now, we simply feature-match the old v1 functionality.
- VUFIND-1033 - This ticket tracks a problem with autocomplete behavior in the Bootstrap3 theme; Chris is working on a solution.
- VUFIND-1034 - This ticket tracks a fix (now committed) to VuFind's rendering of MARC linking fields.
- VUFIND-1035 - This ticket has been opened to track ideas related to using code generation tools to automate certain tedious VuFind coding tasks.
- VUFIND-1036 - This ticket reports a bug in ChoiceAuth related to account creation; Demian has committed a fix.
- VUFIND-1037 - This ticket reports a translation problem resolved by PR #223.
- #212 - merged - Piwik analytics support.
- #213 - merged - Default indexing configuration tweak: include 653 subject field
- #214 - in progress - Proof of concept: offcanvas menus in Bootstrap3 theme.
- #218 - in progress - WorldCat Discovery API integration.
- #219 - merged - Added boolean dynamic field to biblio schema.
- #220 - merged - A ChoiceAuth bug fix (which slightly changes the authentication module interface by adding a new method to validate credentials without internal side effects).
- #221 - in progress - Support for changing the Voyager password through VuFind.
2. Development Planning
Demian has continued work on the pull request to experiment with this issue. See comments and discussion there.
This feature has been merged to master following work at the Summit.
Call Number Normalization
Demian has begun experimenting with using Mink and Zombie.js for automated testing of VuFind's front-end. You can follow this GitHub branch to see progress.
Should we split out stand-alone libraries?
Demian has gone ahead and split out both the VuFindHttp and VuFindCode libraries; master is now relying on these external dependencies. Please feel free to propose other potentially stand-alone pieces of code for further separation.
Release date for 2.3.1?
The release-2.3 branch should be largely stable – just a matter of picking a convenient release date. On the call, we picked December 1 at the latest. Following the call, a calendar consultation revealed that 11/17 is actually a better date to have good coverage at VU to release the update.
3. 2014 VuFind Summit
Once again, the Summit was a success, with several interesting talks and a lot of free-form time to talk with new potential adopters and develop code with veterans. Several significant commits and pull requests came out of this event, and attendees seemed eager to return next year for more of the same.
4. Daylight Savings Time Ends
It is once again time for time changes. Please be aware that this may cause the relative time of the call to change over the next few weeks.
5. Other Topics?
None this week.
The next call will be Tuesday, November 11, 2014 at 10am Eastern Standard Time (15:00 GMT).