This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: February 14, 2017
Attending: Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Claas Kazzer, Jochen Lienhard, Benjamin Mosior, Brad Patton
1. Development Updates
- #905 - in progress - Work on linking VuFind ILS accounts using IDs rather than usernames for greater stability; should be merged soon, after PostgreSQL testing is completed.
- #906 - merged - Improved interface for the language analysis development tool.
- #907 - merged - Return more information from UserResource::createOrUpdateLink for easier extensibility
- #908 - merged - Minor VoyagerRestful ILS driver fix.
- #911 - merged - Adjustment to multiple Solr URL support to prevent propagation of bad requests across multiple servers.
- #912 - merged - Upgrade to use new Zend Framework Recaptcha library.
- #916 - in progress - Minor improvement to record tab loading for better error tolerance; will be reviewed soon.
2. Development Planning
VuFind on Heroku
Ben's experience at Keystone Library Network inspired the idea of using Heroku to run VuFind with less infrastructure support. Some significant challenges – like record loading – but if we can solve these, we potentially make the application accessible to a wider group of people. Goal: one-click instance spin-up (which is what Heroku allows) would make “try before you commit” much easier.
Ben spun up a proof-of-concept instance at https://vufind-example.herokuapp.com/. Not everything works yet, but it's a good start.
Pull request #913 suggests some very basic changes to make VuFind more Heroku-friendly and provide a baseline for working on new functionality.
Suggestion: reach out to Code4lib mailing list to find potential users.
Things to do: start composing composer.lock in master.
Goal: add support for Heroku without negatively impacting non-Heroku users.
Discussion: need for Heroku-specific Apache configuration to meet specific Heroku needs. Can we auto-generate this or do we need to commit two different templates to Git?
Image Metadata API Revisited
Leila is on vacation today but sent an email reporting that she'd have more to say on this next time.
Breaking Up Templates
Pull request #892, breaking up SideFacets, is still in progress.
Pull request #693 is still awaiting some final discussion about cosmetic adjustments.
Next ZF Version
Significant progress has been made in refactoring to prepare for ZF3 components, and the ZF community has made some helpful new releases. We are still waiting on some movement from the ZF side, however, and right now ongoing work is in progress to upgrade zend-mvc (see pull request #900). With a large number of changes being made throughout the code, please be especially alert for bugs and strange behavior in the coming weeks.
Improved Use of Permissions
There has been some renewed discussion about this on PR #608, though no major code progress yet.
A significant performance bug in the latest Solr 6 has been reported; we should not merge this until that has been resolved. A note has been added to PR #869.
Other Front End Updates
No major news.
Chris is still doing research; feel free to send suggestions his way.
VuFind 3.1.3 Release Date?
Since several more bug fixes have been made in the release-3.1 branch, we should plan for a 3.1.3 release. March 13 may be a good option, unless there is a desire to publish sooner.
3. VuFind Usage Survey
The survey has been opened here. Please participate if you have not already done so.
4. Institutional Home
5. Other Topics?
Chris will soon be opening a CodeSniffer PR to address the alignment option issue we discussed last time.
The next call will be Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 9am Eastern Standard Time (14:00 GMT).