Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: September 26, 2017
Attending: Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, John Jung, Demian Katz, Claas Kazzer, Jochen Lienhard, Tod Olson
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-907 - This ticket should have been closed a long time ago, when geographic search was implemented in VuFind 3.1. We found and closed it much more recently!
- VUFIND-1248 - This ticket proposes a 2-factor authentication mechanism for VuFind.
- VUFIND-1249 - A bug prevented autocomplete from being disabled correctly; it was corrected in time for the 4.1 release.
- VUFIND-1250 - This points out that a side effect of the multi-valued author field is occasional inappropriate suggestions in the author autocomplete; this ticket tracks the bug, but a fix has not been implemented yet.
- VUFIND-1251 - This ticket contains some discussion of Solr query elevation configuration as provided by VuFind; we may wish to make some adjustments for clarity and ease of use.
- VUFIND-1252 - This ticket proposes a new switch to the command-line “deletes” script to allow ID prefixing.
- #1037 - closed - Some discussion of MultiBackend issues took place here, but the PR was closed without being merged.
- #1038 - in progress - Proposed improvements to the .deb package.
- #1039 - merged - Accessibility improvements to side facets.
- #1040 - in progress - Support for advanced facet settings inside collections.
- #1041 - merged - Library card selection control bug fix.
- #1046 - closed - Some discussion of mix-in inheritance behavior took place here, but this was closed without making changes.
- #1047 - merged - Minor Voyager driver enhancements.
- #1050 - merged - Added support for displaying mobile phone numbers separate from regular phone numbers on the Profile screen (currently only supported by Voyager).
- #1051 - merged - Added option to display item barcodes in the checked out items list (off by default).
- #1052 - merged - Run PhpDocumentor using a .phar instead of Composer to avoid dependency warnings/conflicts.
- #1055 - merged - Improvements to controller factories.
- #1056 - in progress - More mobile-friendly checkbox controls for the sandal theme.
- #1057 - merged - More mobile-friendly top facet controls.
- #1058 - merged - An upgrade to the latest PHP_CodeSniffer, with some improvements to the Phing-driven automation of the tool.
- #1059 - merged - Minor template improvement to make it possible to hide query time display using CSS.
Release 4.1 went out on time. A few minor bugs (mostly i18n-related) have been caught since the release, so a 4.1.1 will be forthcoming.
2. VuFind Summit 2017
The Summit was a success, with some interesting talks and productive roadmapping. Videos will be posted as soon as editing is complete.
3. Development Planning
There was a productive roadmapping discussion at the Summit (using this Google doc); the outcomes of that conversation have been captured in the GitHub project board. Chris and Demian will focus on these tasks in the lead-up to release 5.0.
Code Style Tools
As noted above, PR #1058 has been merged, bringing us up to date with the latest PHP_CodeSniffer and adding a tests/phpcs.xml file defining VuFind's specific style checking rules. This PR also adds a new “phpcbf” phing task which can be used to pass the appropriate configuration to the phpcbf tool to automatically fix many of the issues normally detected by phpcs.
The long-awaited php-cs-fixer release that has been holding up PR #897 has also come out, so that has been merged as well. Unfortunately, the software still does not do exactly what we would like as far as allowing alignment of binary operators. However, we have selected a compromise configuration that seems to allow reasonably high-quality results. Demian also reviewed the full php-cs-fixer rule sets and added several relatively uncontroversial-looking rules, fixing more problems in the process. There are several “risky” rules that might be worth applying as well; we can investigate these later.
Image Metadata API
Front End Updates
Chris is continuing to work on some open pull requests to improve the sandal theme. No major refactoring planned, just some addition of classes.
Browse Handler Optimizations
4. Institutional Home
Ben Mosior kindly ran us through an exercise to think about what we desire from an institutional home at the last Summit. We can continue that conversation on future calls if there is interest in doing so.
5. Time Change!
Between this call and the next, the change from Daylight to Standard time will occur in the Eastern time zone. Please keep this in mind when marking your calendar!
6. Other Topics?
None this time.
The next call will be Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 9am Eastern Standard Time (14:00 GMT).