About Features Downloads Getting Started Documentation Events Support GitHub

Site Tools


Warning: This page has not been updated in over over a year and may be outdated or deprecated.
developers_call:minutes20180116

VuFind Developers Call Minutes: January 16, 2018

Attending: Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Eoin Kilfeather, Jochen Lienhard, Conor Sheehan

Agenda

1. Development Updates

JIRA Tickets

  • VUFIND-1261 - This ticket tracks the highlighting issue resolved by PR #1078, which has now been merged.
  • VUFIND-1262 - This has been closed; it turned out to be related to local customizations, so no action needed on core code.
  • VUFIND-1263 - This ticket reports some hierarchy-related bugs. Some have been fixed, but some fixes are still in progress.
  • VUFIND-1264 - This ticket tracks possible solutions/workarounds to the current incompatibility between translating facets and using Solr index sorting on facets; feel free to add to the discussion.
  • VUFIND-1265 - This ticket requests implementation of some new Summon API features.
  • VUFIND-1266 - This ticket reports a tag bug; Chris will work on a fix.

Pull Requests

  • #1083 - in progress - This PR tracks issues with upgrading to the latest FontAwesome.
  • #1084 - merged - Bug fix: account for ILS_username_field more consistently.
  • #1085 - closed - Created by accident.
  • #1086, #1087 - in progress - Geographic improvements.
  • #1088 - merged - Exclusion of fullrecord field from search snippets.
  • #1089 - in progress - Work to improve ILL pickup location behavior.
  • #1090 - merged - Improvements to Solr hierarchy generation.
  • #1091 - merged - Improvements to the “empty search sort” behavior.
  • #1092 - merged - .gitignore improvement to ignore all SolrMarc logs.
  • #1093 - merged - Koha ILS-DI driver date handling improvements.
  • #1094 - in progress - Horizon driver improvements (new PR; Demian will review soon).

2. Development Planning

5.0 Roadmap Progress

ServiceManager v3 Upgrade

Demian has begun work on revising the service manager configuration in PR #1067. He was originally thinking of merging the PR sooner, but the discovery of some bugs revealed that fixing the configuration as discussed last time is also a good way to thoroughly test everything.

The checklist on the PR has been updated to reflect outstanding tasks, and Demian (with Chris' help) will continue working through it as time permits. Some other work is more or less on hold until this is completed.

Solr 7

It appears that SolrMarc 3.1 has been released; Demian will upgrade VuFind when time permits, which will allow further progress on this PR.

What next?

Suggestions for next priorities from the roadmap are encouraged.

Image Metadata API

No news.

Front End Updates

Chris wanted to explain a couple of things:

- The new version of FontAwesome (5) is out. We use this library for our icons. Chris was disappointed by the compatibility of the new version; some icons have broken backward compatibility, and some new features of the new version don't work with VuFind. Right now, it looks like a lot of work for very little pay-off to upgrade, so this won't be happening too soon.

- Chris is also planning on refactoring the dynamic cover image generator soon.

Browse Handler Optimizations

Tod found some problems related to old .jar files bundled with the browse handler project; he has resolved this (and ensured that the Travis build still passes).

3. Institutional Home

No news.

4. Other Topics?

Leila is working on some geographic improvements – PR #1086 is the first step toward migrating from OpenLayers to Leaflet by making base maps configurable. PR #1087 allows better logging during indexing of coordinates to help with troubleshooting. These are currently awaiting Demian's review.

Leila has two more pull requests lined up to open after these are merged (character encoding indexing fixes; Leaflet conversion). Leaflet offers better clustering than OpenLayers. She will also update the wiki after merging.

There was a question about whether there is a simple way to inject a configuration into a class without creating a factory. The short answer: it's probably best to use a factory given current VuFind conventions, but the new ServiceManager v3 refactor may make it easier to create a shared factory that injects configurations in a specific way, if such a pattern is useful, in order to avoid redundancy.

There was also a discussion of the getRealTimeHoldings call in the holdings tab code, during which Demian may have misspoken about its purpose and history. You shouldn't always trust him first thing in the morning.

Next Call

The next call will be Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 9am Eastern Standard Time (14:00 GMT).

developers_call/minutes20180116.txt · Last modified: 2018/01/16 14:35 by demiankatz