Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: December 18, 2018
Attending: Markus Beh, Matthias Edel, Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz
1. Development Updates
No new tickets since last time.
- #1285 - merged - Elimination of an unused parameter value.
- #1286 - merged - Bug fix for conditional stylesheets in the asset pipeline.
- #1288 - in progress - Allow XSLT sheets to be overridden in the local directory.
- #1289 - merged - Additional record sanitization for the SolrMarc record driver.
- #1290 - in progress - Discussion of XML sanitization prior to XSLT application.
- #1291 - in progress - Simplification of VuFind's facet label handling.
- #1292 - merged - Translation improvements.
- #1293 - in progress - Discussion about hiding email controls in contexts where they will not work.
- #1294 - in progress - Browse handler interface simplifications, related to optimization work.
2. Development Planning
ILS Support Updates
Demian and Chris have begun some conversations with the FOLIO community about data loading strategies; University of Chicago may be able to help test the work so far.
Browse Handler Optimizations
Discussion and progress continues on vufind-browse-handler PR #23. It appears that some improvements can be made in time for 5.1, with a larger refactoring (including interface changes) being handled for 6.0.
Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI)
Demian has posted some more detailed thoughts on VUFIND-1309.
5.1 / 6.0 Roadmapping
Demian has finished reviewing the improved feedback forms, so this will be included in 5.1.
3. Next Call Date
The next scheduled call would be New Year's Day. We will skip that and resume conversations on January 15, 2019.
4. Other Topics?
Chris is looking into tools and techniques for a future “progressive” theme. Goals include more modular CSS. Chris is working on a “vision board” of ideas for this; he will share if possible. He welcomes suggestions and feedback.
Chris is also thinking about improved accessibility of developers call minutes. Suggestion: consider recording meetings for posting after the fact and possible transcription.
Leila suggested that transcription-only might be a good place to start; she has had good experience with YouTube auto-transcription. YouTube currently makes transcription download very convenient. Other tools are also available.
We will experiment with recording next month's call as a proof of concept.
Leila is going to have more time for VuFind development soon and will look at getting new geographic features onto the project board (such as polygon-based searches).
Leila has noticed some memory leaks in her VuFind 4.1 Solr instance. She will try upgrading to VuFind 5 (with Solr 7) to see if that makes a difference.
Leila also still has containerization of VuFind using Docker on her to-do list but has been too busy to make progress yet.
The next call will be Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 9am Eastern Standard Time (14:00 GMT).