Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: March 12, 2019
Attending: Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Claas Kazzer, Ere Maijala
1. Development Updates
- #1327 - in progress - When using a combined drop-down search options menu, this provides the ability to label groups of related options.
- #1328 - merged - Bug fix to recently-added “linkify” behavior for holding notes.
- #1329 - merged - HTML markup improvement (use div instead of li when building facets, since there is no ul element).
- #1330 - merged - Improved debug logging for FOLIO ILS driver.
- #1331 - in progress - OAI-PMH server improvements (to take advantage of the newly-indexed record_format field by using it to filter based on requested metadata format).
- #1335 - in progress - Discussion of the role of the database and ILS driver in determining/storing user default pickup location.
- #1336 - in progress - Alma ILS driver improvements.
- #1337 - merged - Better default routing behavior when records are not found in the index (no fatal error).
- #1338 - in progress - Sierra ILS driver improvements (Demian will test soon).
- #1339 - in progress - Prototype of a tab to display record contents when using the “simple container linking” option.
- #1340 - merged - Aleph ILS driver improvements.
- #1341 - in progress - Proposed CSS fixes to allow different styles to be applied to AND and OR facets.
2. Development Planning
There was some discussion of PR #1335. Ere pointed out that it's important to allow the user to override the default pickup location when placing requests, since users sometimes have good reasons to do this (i.e. they are member of main library but live closer to branch library). He will review whether his instance is using any custom code around pickup locations, or whether the existing default VuFind logic is meeting local needs.
Demian plans to investigate refactoring pickup-related logic to a service for centralization, unless someone objects.
Browse Handler Optimizations
Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI)
Demian has been focusing on improving the SierraRest ILS driver in support of a local project.
3. Other Topics?
Future of LESS / SCSS
Chris inquired whether there was a desire to move to a single CSS-related language, since the current system uses LESS as a primary option but also ports to SCSS for flexibility, and this requires some extra maintenance work. It seems that there are still significant needs for both formats, and taking either one away would cause significant inconvenience for someone. Demian suggested that it may be best to stick with the status quo for now, especially since recent SCSS work has introduced a more flexible mechanism for working around limitations of the automatic conversion. If we are going to make a drastic change, rather than choosing between one of two fairly contemporary technologies, it may be better to wait until there is something substantially better (such as a future hypothetical development that leverages native browser support more effectively) before investing effort in this.
The next call will be Tuesday, March 26, 2019 at 9am Eastern Daylight Time (13:00 GMT).