Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: April 23, 2019
Attending: Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Claas Kazzer, Ere Maijala, Mohan Pradhan
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-1328 - This ticket reports a CAS-related problem which has been fixed in master by making the protocol used by the CAS module configurable.
- VUFIND-1329 - This ticket requests a HathiTrust embedding tab similar to the existing Google Books preview tab.
- VUFIND-1330 - This ticket reports a problem with Tika full text indexing in SolrMarc; Demian is investigating.
- #1358 - in progress - Improvements to the Alma driver
- #1359 - merged - Bug fix to correctly generate search URLs with operator values
- #1360 - merged - Improvements/fixes to feedback forms
- #1361 - merged - Make collection routing more configurable
- #1362 - merged - Translation improvement
- #1364 - in progress - Improvements to the performance of collection routing
2. Development Planning
Zend Framework Changes
Zend has just announced that Zend Framework will be rebranding as Laminas. This may have significant implications for VuFind, since all of the Zend packages and class names that we depend upon are likely to change. At the moment, details are a bit unclear, but we will need to watch developments closely.
Browse Handler Optimizations
Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI)
Ere has some logic for this in Finna; he will share this either through a PR or through comments on VUFIND-1309. Demian and Mohan will test/refine.
No major news. Demian plans to give attention to the relocation of search filters. Ere also mentioned the ongoing work on patron alerts, account change notification, etc. Chris also mentioned Bootstrap 4 and/or the next major theme. Discussion of a framework agnostic approach, balancing generic design against existing components with existing dependencies, etc.
3. Developers Summit
Demian inquired about interest in a 2019 VuFind Summit and discussed the possibility of riding on a future WolfCon (the conference hosted by the Open Library Foundation, of which VuFind will eventually become a member). There was enthusiasm for the benefits of participating in a multi-project conference (cross-project collaboration, revolving location including Europe, etc.). However, there are also advantages to the existing small-room-with-remote-participation structure of the existing Summit. Demian will send an email to gauge broader interest.
4. Other Topics?
Mohan asked for a list of VuFind's dependencies and harvesting tools in order to assemble information that can be used as a Summit presentation and/or to make VuFind more accessible/understandable to a broader audience. Demian will put this together and share it with him.
Mohan also asked about the VuFind 6 release date – this should come out this summer for consistency with past releases; discussing an exact date should be a topic on the next call.
The next call will be Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 9am Eastern Daylight Time (13:00 GMT).