This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: October 4, 2011
Attending: Filipe Bento, Lutz Biedinger, Demian Katz, Tuan Nguyen, Luke O'Sullivan, Sean Purcell, Ernie Simuro
1. New/Updated JIRA Tickets
- VUFIND-441 - The patch for indexing collection-level data has been improved.
- VUFIND-444 - The Europeana recommendation patch has been improved and committed.
- VUFIND-453 - There are some bugs in the way certain optional Dismax parameters (i.e. bq, bf) are applied in advanced searches. This seems to be related to a flaw in Solr's syntax. A partial fix is currently attached to the ticket (and has been committed to the trunk); Demian will investigate solving the remaining issues after the Solr 3 upgrade in case things improve on the Solr side.
- VUFIND-454 - Demian has shared a patch for adding a new Solr core to index websites, including some basic tools for crawling sitemaps. It could probably stand to be made a little better before getting committed – please try it and comment if you are interested.
2. Solr 3.x Update
The new SolrMarc release is imminent. Once it arrives, Demian will upgrade the VuFind trunk. The new SolrMarc release will also include David Walker's improved format determination, so we may want to revisit the way VuFind populates the format facet.
Note that because of changes in the way Unicode is handled with Solr 3 vs. Solr 1.4, it will be necessary to reindex all data after this upgrade takes place.
3. Architecture Improvements
Chris has continued working on VuFind 2, porting a couple more recommendation modules (including Wikipedia support) and continuing to improve VuDL integration.
Anoop has begun testing the code and has contributed basic install documentation that will be included as a text file in Subversion shortly.
Demian is still working on building the MyResearch area; he is currently in the process of reimplementing favorites as a custom SearchObject (for more consistency with other code).
4. New Mobile Theme
Luke has added support for his expanded ILS driver functionality in the new jquerymobile theme, so holds/recalls/renewals are possible.
5. Cart Functionality
Cart functionality is still available for testing on the trunk demo. There are some known issues that need to be resolved, but the list keeps getting shorter – Demian and Luke are still working on the finishing touches.
6. Other Topics?
Luke has run into problems with the behavior of the splitOnCaseChange parameter in the Solr schema – case changes inside words can cause problems – i.e. a search for “MoBile” won't match records with the word “mobile” in them. Tuan ran into the same issue at York and solved it by turning off splitOnCaseChange in the query analyzer chain (which solves the problem but also negates some of the benefit of using splitOnCaseChange). Demian and Luke tried changing the catenateWords settings and were able to find a solution that seemed to work in the Solr admin tool but it didn't actually seem to fix VuFind itself. They will investigate further after updating to Solr 3.x.
The next call will be Tuesday, October 18, 2011 at 11am Eastern Daylight Time (GMT - 4:00).