Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: November 1, 2011
Attending: Jeffrey Barnett, Demian Katz, Luke O'Sullivan, Sean Purcell, Graham Seaman, Ernie Simuro
1. New/Updated JIRA Tickets
- VUFIND-240 - It is now much easier to use the KStemmer since it is packaged with Solr 3.4, so the ticket has been updated to reflect this.
- VUFIND-260 - Now that the Solr 3 update is complete, this ticket has been closed.
- VUFIND-276 - Luke has once again provided an update to his feedback patch.
- VUFIND-454 - Demian has updated his website indexing patch to work with Solr 3.4.
- VUFIND-465 - Servilio submitted a fix to a minor flaw in HMAC processing in the new hold-placing code; it has been committed.
- VUFIND-466 - This is a reminder to investigate using the Extended DisMax handler now that we have updated to Solr 3.
- VUFIND-467 - This is a reminder to investigate using Xincludes for more flexible Solr local configuration now that we have updated to Solr 3.
- VUFIND-468 - This patch provides integration with the Flickr API.
- VUFIND-469 - This ticket requests more configurable date/time displays; now that we have the VuFindDate object, this should be relatively easy to achieve.
- VUFIND-470 - This ticket requests the elimination of a hard-coded base URL in the config.ini file; a patch is attached which Demian will look into committing shortly.
- VUFIND-471 - There was a bug in the way pickup locations were displayed in the user account hold list for some ILS drivers; this ticket includes a fix which has been committed to the trunk.
2. Solr 3.x Update
The VuFind trunk is now using Solr 3.4. If you have time, please check out the latest trunk, reindex your records, and report any problems you encounter. So far, the transition appears to be fairly seamless.
Demian spent some time investigating a problem Luke noticed with the way the WordDelimiterFilterFactory behaves in VuFind's Solr schema – accidentally typing a capital letter in the middle of a word can lead to bad results. Due to limitations still present in Solr 3, it appears that there is no easy solution to this problem that doesn't involve some trade-offs – see the full thread for more details.
Similarly, some other outstanding issues (unwanted highlighting from boost queries in the VUFIND-452 patch and limitations of the LocalParams syntax as mentioned in VUFIND-453) appear unresolved in Solr 3.4.
Demian has heard that Solr 3's memory usage should be better than Solr 1.4's was, but he hasn't had time to study it closely yet. Luke reports that he's still having problems with memory filling up since switching to Solr 3, so perhaps the improvement is not as great as anticipated.
Sean mentioned that using JRockit as a JVM seems to have helped with Solr stability.
3. VuFind 2.0 Update
VuFind 2.0 is now subject to continuous integration. The Zend Framework is better suited to testing and analysis than the previous architecture, so these tools are likely to prove even more useful than before. Chris has done a lot of work on improving style compliance, and Demian has continued slowly implementing missing features. Chris is currently implementing logging functionality (which will eventually include debug mode).
4. SciVerse Template App
Demian has finished working with Elsevier to develop a template app for embedding VuFind results inside their SciVerse platform. If your library uses SciVerse and would like to integrate with your VuFind instance, visit this page and click the contact link to customize the template app for your local needs.
5. New Mobile Theme
The jQuery mobile files have been updated to the latest version. This has caused some problems with Luke's “additional ILS functions” capabilities, which are currently being investigated.
6. Cart Functionality
Luke and Demian are still working on polishing this patch – some prerequisites have been committed to the trunk, but there's still a little more work needed before the whole patch can go in. Hopefully it will be done soon!
7. Other Topics?
Graham asked about statistics – no progress yet, but Demian mentioned that Eric Lease Morgan has been putting together Apache log analysis tools to help with gathering VuFind stats.
Luke asked about adding alternate output formats (XML, JSON, etc.) in VuFind 2 so that certain pages could be presented in machine-readable ways using HTTP accept headers, etc.; this is possible with Zend Framework, though it will require some thought in order to be implemented well. Some of the existing OAI-PMH logic (i.e. XML representations) in the record drivers might be leveraged here.
Demian mentioned that he has been in occasional conversations with the LibraryCloud team about adding linked data capabilities in VuFind so that some of its data could be harvested into their repository; this hasn't gotten beyond the hypothetical stage yet.
The next call will be Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at 11am Eastern Standard Time (GMT - 5:00). Note that the time has changed from Daylight to Standard in the Eastern zone, so if you are in another time zone, the meeting time may be different for you!