Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: April 30, 2013
Attending: Demian Katz, Benjamin Mosior, Al Rykhus, Ben Wiens
1. New/Updated JIRA Tickets
- VUFIND-777 - An updated version of the “default tab per record driver” patch has been posted here.
- VUFIND-784 - This Chrome-specific CSS fix has been committed.
- VUFIND-789 - This ticket proposes adding UPC information to ILS drivers and then using this UPC information for cover generation; probably should be split into sub-tickets. Feel free to comment if you have ideas on this.
- VUFIND-790 - This ticket contains some discussion about customizing the sort order of record holdings; it was eventually closed as “won't fix” because no core changes were needed to meet the need.
- VUFIND-791 - EndNote Web export support has been added to VuFind 2.
- VUFIND-796 - This ticket is a reminder to improve parse error detection in the new VuFind 2 search system so that it works correctly with Solr 4.
- VUFIND-799 - This ticket addresses a bug in the display of block messages when renewing items; the bug affected VF1 and 2 – a VF1.4 patch is attached, and both codebases have been fixed.
2. VuFind 2.0 Update
The search-refactor-related items discussed on the last call have been implemented.
Demian has done further work to reduce the use of ServiceLocatorAwareInterface in order to make class relationships and dependencies more explicit.
David has worked on documenting the search service.
Solr 4 support in SolrMarc has been fixed.
The master branch has been updated to use the latest ZF2 release, 2.1.5.
2.0RC1 has been released on schedule.
There was some discussion of whether we should deprecate tag searches performed through the standard search box (since they work differently from the “real” Solr-based searches); perhaps redirecting to the Tag module would be preferable. Al mentioned that tags are fairly heavily used in his consortium, so we definitely should not eliminate searches entirely. Demian definitely wants to avoid losing functionality; just looking for a better approach to a somewhat awkward feature. Probably worth discussing in more depth with a larger crowd.
3. Linked Data
No news this week.
4. VuFind Summit 2013
We are seriously considering holding another developers summit for 2013. Please fill out this survey to help with the planning process.
5. Other Topics?
Benjamin mentioned that the Pennsylvania State Library is now using VuFind exclusively.
He also commented that search seems faster since the search refactoring was completed, though he hasn't done benchmarking to prove it.
The next call will be Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 10am Eastern Daylight Time (14:00 GMT).