Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: June 10, 2014
Attending: Filipe Bento, Judy Brink-Drescher, Will Clarke, Chris Hallberg, Anna Headley, Demian Katz, Tod Olson
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-423 - Julia Bauder's EIT implementation has been merged, so this ticket is closed.
- VUFIND-636 - Michelle Milton's EDS implementation has been merged, so this ticket is closed.
- VUFIND-982 - The login sequence has been further improved to resolve some odd behaviors with Shibboleth/ChoiceAuth in the Bootstrap theme.
- VUFIND-987 - Chris opened this ticket to track his work on upgrading to Bootstrap 3.
- #156 - In progress: improvements to the PICA driver (which may be abandoned, since the PICA driver is no longer recommended for use).
- #157 - Merged: work to use the escapeHtmlAttr() helper instead of escapeHtml() in appropriate spots in templates for better security.
- #158 - Merged: support for Syndetics over SSL (which was previously broken in the 2.x implementation).
- #159 - Merged: improvements to the Solr start-up script.
- #160 - Merged: improvements to the MARC import script.
- #162 - Rejected: proposal to delete marc_local.properties (Demian prefers to keep this as a template for copying into the local directory).
- #163 - Merged: minor bug fix to searchspecs caching.
- #164 - In progress: implementation of hierarchical facets.
2. Development Planning
Call Number Normalization
No news this week.
Eliminating -Xms from Solr Java Options
PR #159 recommended eliminating the -Xms option from the Solr Java options. There seems to be evidence that this is worth considering.
Demian will contact Ben/Benjamin for their input. If no objection, will try running in production without it for a while to see if there are issues. If all is well, will change defaults.
Further discussion of general plan:
- Keep current bootstrap theme under current name, but deprecate so it will be removed in 2.4.
- Call new theme bootstrap3 (major versions will likely be incompatible, so might as well identify in theme name)
- put comments in config.ini to clarify relationship between themes
- use upgrade script to warn users about deprecation of bootstrap theme
- Chris will document steps for migrating custom templates
Also some discussion of difficulties of keeping custom themes in sync with master themes. Demian recommended careful review of diffs when merging (to manually update affected custom templates) and suggested that users might recommend areas where templates could be broken up to ease localization.
The prototype revised current users page that Judy has been working on was discussed. Judy is going to email Demian an updated list of columns based on discussion. Demian and Chris will work on reordering the columns of the existing table and will also investigate the feasibility of automated link checking/version detection.
Will also suggested the idea of a “submit your installation” form to help auto-populate the wiki. This might be something that could be built into the website in the future (to format a wiki entry and email it to Demian or Chris for insertion into the page).
4. Other Topics?
No other items this week.
The next call will be Tuesday, June 24, 2014 at 10am Eastern Daylight Time (14:00 GMT).