Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: March 15, 2016
Attending: Filipe Bento, Matthias Edel, Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Claas Kazzer, André Lahmann, Jochen Lienhard, Jay Roos
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-1151 - This Horizon fix has been merged due to lack of objections from the list.
- VUFIND-1153 - This ticket tracks some possible improvements to VoyagerRestful patron block behavior.
- VUFIND-1155 - This ticket proposes using HttpOnly cookies for improved security, but this would probably break cart functionality (and other possible consequences should also be considered); feel free to add to discussion on the ticket.
- VUFIND-1156 - This ticket adds Blu-ray support to format determination during MARC import (merged and ported to SolrMarc).
- #613 - merged - Use disk-based instead of session-based cache for VoyagerRestful driver; share caching mechanism through base ILS driver.
- #614 - merged - Improved handling of empty passwords in institutional login mechanisms.
- #615 - merged - Minor DAIA ILS driver fix.
- #616 - merged - Minor lightbox bug fixes.
- #618 - merged - Cosmetic improvements to Demo ILS driver.
- #619 - merged - Improvements to cart/bulk controller flows.
- #621 - merged - ILS driver caching fix.
- #622 - merged - MultiBackend ILS driver fix related to caching.
- #623 - merged - Eliminate a PHP notice.
- #624 - merged - Fix to dynamic cover configuration processing.
- #626 - merged - Better international Wikipedia support.
- #627 - merged - Update to author relator terms for improved author indexing PR.
- #628 - in progress - Update existing searches in search table instead of constantly creating new ones.
- #629 - in progress - Minor holds-related Voyager driver fix.
- #630 - in progress - Support for multiple checkbox facets for the same field.
- #631 - in progress - Support for falling back to an earlier version of jquery in IE8.
- #632 - merged - Minor AJAX improvement for bootstrap3 theme (don't call save status AJAX for logged-out user).
- #636 - in progress - Adjustment to maximum ID length in database (should be merged soon; very recently opened).
Session Performance Improvement
As discussed on the previous call, this functionality has been merged to master.
2. Demonstration: Improved Geographic Features (Leila Gonzales)
Geographic search comes from Moravian Library in Czech Republic, but with minor tweaks to allow map to be moved, and to allow records to map to multiple points and/or boxes. Also improved ability to overlay labels (from lookup table based on coordinates) on maps in “map view” tab. Some custom indexing required as well (special issues related to polar coordinates came up on this project).
System currently works with both OpenLayers and Google Maps APIs; may eventually be useful to convert code to use just one API rather than two.
Discussion about integrating into core followed: Demian and Leila will work together on this.
3. Development Planning
Improved Author Indexing
Demian spoke with Bob Haschart at Code4lib and expects a SolrMarc release in the near future, which will allow this to be merged. In the meantime, he will begin soliciting translations for release 3.0 from volunteers.
Now that Solr 5.5.0 fixes the bugs that necessitated VUFIND-935 (cannot use eDisMax as default search handler due to Solr bugs), Demian spent some time investigating eDisMas behavior. Unfortunately, while the known issues with the - / NOT operators do seem to be fixed, there now seem to be new problems related to the OR operator.
Consensus: merge Solr 5 branch soon; leave eDismax as configurable option, off by default, but consider changing default in 3.1 after we've had more time to test/experiment.
Significant progress has been merged to master (notably the major lightbox simplification); some bugs and minor details are still in the process of being adjusted, but the end is in sight.
(Chris also gave public thanks to Ere for his work fixing/improving code).
Next up: bootstrap3-lists pull request (embedded record views in search results).
Other work in progress: adding SASS support in parallel with LESS. Looking at page performance using input from Jay. Possibility of rebalancing complexity of templates vs. CSS using new techniques from Code4lib.
Claas mentioned reviewing lightbox code to merge into custom Foundation5 theme.
Next ZF Version
No news since last time.
Improved Use of Permissions
Oliver has continued work on his pull request (#608) but Demian has not had a chance to review in a while due to Code4lib and 3.0 release preparation.
Some discussion of Leipzig's need for less user-centric permissions (for example, permissions that vary based on record ID). Since current permission system does not accept extra parameters beyond permission name (and this is by design), Demian suggested that it may be necessary to layer another service on top to figure out which permission is needed for a given record ID, so that permission can be subsequently checked. The Leipzig team will look at Oliver's work to see if it will meet the other aspects of their use case.
4. Other Topics?
None this week.
The next call will be Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 9am Eastern Daylight Time (13:00 GMT).