About Features Downloads Getting Started Documentation Events Support GitHub

Site Tools


developers_call:minutes20170425

VuFind Developers Call Minutes: April 25, 2017

Attending: Matthias Edel, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Claas Kazzer, Jochen Lienhard, Brad Patton

Agenda

1. Development Updates

JIRA Tickets

  • VUFIND-1226 - This was a spam ticket and has been deleted; not sure how it slipped through the cracks. If we get more, Demian will spend time upgrading JIRA to be sure any vulnerabilities are patched.
  • VUFIND-1227 - This ticket reports a minor bug (and a workaround) related to hierarchical facets; Ere will work on a fix when time permits.

Pull Requests

  • #956 - in progress - A template for a local custom theme, to help save user time.
  • #957 - merged - A path converter to fix CSS paths in the asset pipeline.
  • #958 - in progress - Work to reduce the load of Bootstrap-specific classes in the theme.
  • #959 - merged - Work to make the new RecordDataFormatter output more flexible/extensible.

2. Development Planning

VuFind on Heroku

No news.

Image Metadata API Revisited

No news; Leila will report back when she has more time to make progress on this.

Breaking Up Templates

#892 has been merged. That addresses all of the immediate suggestions for template splitting, but feel free to share further ideas if you spot other areas that could benefit from more granularity.

Channels

Demian is working on improving Summon support and has been writing documentation. Once that is done and some tests have been written, we can merge the feature.

Modularization

No news.

Next ZF Version

No news; phpDocumentor remains the blocker at this point, and we may be able to work around that by using the .phar version instead of Composer. Demian will investigate when time permits.

Improved Use of Permissions

No news.

Solr 6

Solr 6.5.0 has been released; should we move forward or stick with polishing up 6.4.2? Things now seem to be working very well with 6.4.2, so maybe it is better to avoid taking risks. Demian has worked with Mark Triggs to clean up deprecation warnings in the browse handler, and he has identified a change in the default schema factory which was causing some weird behavior and has been corrected by minor configuration adjustments.

Deprecation Progress

No news.

Wiki Documentation Improvements?

Some of Chris' recent work has brought up the idea of putting some documentation in the code on GitHub; this has pros and cons and is worth discussing further.

Preparing for 4.0

The must-have changes for 4.0 are getting wrapped up. We are going to set our 4.0 release date for July 10. If any unstarted tickets from the 2016 Summit (see here) are important to you, please let us know ASAP so they can be included in the release planning.

Front End Updates

As covered in last meeting:

Look at the Bootstrap class reducing PR; this is the result of developing the new modern theme, a response to Chris' observation about heavy-weight use of bootstrap classes, and strategies for their reduction/simplification. If you have encountered anything that is difficult to customize, please let us know so we can continue simplifying.

Also please share thoughts on the new modern theme: what conventions/styles/etc. should we include? Once 4.0 is released, the modern theme will be used in the public demo to improve the first impression on the project.

3. VuFind Usage Survey

Final report still forthcoming.

4. Institutional Home

Demian has learned of another possible partner and will investigate soon.

5. Other Topics?

Nothing this time.

Next Call

The next call will be Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 9am Eastern Daylight Time (13:00 GMT).

developers_call/minutes20170425.txt · Last modified: 2017/04/25 13:19 by demiankatz