Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: July 16, 2019
Attending: Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Ere Maijala
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-1300 - This ticket was resolved when holding tab pagination was introduced for the Alma driver (included in release 6.0).
- VUFIND-1337 - This ticket tracks the need to introduce support for a forthcoming Alma API improvement.
- VUFIND-1339 - This ticket tracks the need to upgrade to Solr 8 (probably a VuFind 7 goal).
- VUFIND-1340 - This ticket tracks the need to change the default Solr port number for standardization/improved compatibility (probably a VuFind 7 goal).
- #1389 - in progress - A new sort configuration option for advanced search hierarchical facets.
- #1390 - merged - Fixes a typo in a template.
The release went out on schedule.
2. Development Planning
Zend Framework / Laminas Transition
No major news yet – still waiting for the Laminas code to drop. The getlaminas.org site still has not changed significantly since it was unveiled.
Browse Handler Optimizations
Tod is hoping to find more time for this over the summer; as noted above, two JIRA tickets have been opened to track tasks and progress on modernizing, improving and optimizing not just the browse handler but also the browse indexer.
Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI)
As discussed, the requirement was raised to 7.1 with release 6.0. The Jenkins continuous integration server is temporarily broken pending upgrades.
3. Developers Summit
Due to the lack of interest in the Villanova Summit, Demian is hoping to participate more actively (via video) in the German Summit this September. More will be shared details as they develop.
4. Other Topics?
Demian and Ere discussed modularity (pros and cons of splitting functionality into separate repositories – “light” code vs. convenience of maintainability, etc.). Mediawiki's Composer plugin to allow separate local dependencies was discussed as something that should be investigated (both as a possible tool for a more modular VuFind, and because it could be useful for other situations where local customizations introduce additional dependencies).
Also discussed was Solr 8 – Ere and Demian have not yet had time to look at it; further research will be needed before tackling the upgrade process.
The next call will be Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 9am Eastern Daylight Time (13:00 GMT).