Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: August 27, 2019
Attending: Demian Katz, Ere Maijala, Mohan Pradhan
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-860 - This simple recommendation module has been merged to master (it's an old contribution that was overlooked for a long time).
- VUFIND-1348 - This ticket proposes adjusting the way controllers are initialized for greater consistency with other services.
- VUFIND-1349 - This ticket reports a bug in the Search2 module; a fix will be included in release 6.0.1.
- VUFIND-1350 - This ticket reports a bug with holdings pagination when AJAX tabs are enabled; it will be fixed in release 6.0.1.
- #1395 - merged - This significant pre-existing PR has been completed and merged; it is now possible to control access at the controller and global levels through permissionBehavior.ini.
- #1402 - merged - Demian has upgraded SolrMarc, fixing some bugs related to locally extending custom classes.
- #1404 - merged - Finish/Swedish translation updates.
- #1405 - merged - Improve rendering of feedback forms in the lightbox.
- #1406 - merged - Improve mailer “reply-to” behavior.
- #1407 - merged - Allow the lightbox to respond to HTTP 204 statuses by closing.
- #1408 - merged - Alma driver fixes/improvements.
- #1409 - in progress - New “Email” authentication option (log in by clicking a link in a message sent to your email address).
- #1410 - merged - Use Alma as an OpenURL resolver.
- #1411 - in progress - Add support for displaying digital/electronic holdings separately from physical holdings in the record Holdings tab.
- #1414 - merged - Minor improvements to the PAIA driver.
2. Development Planning
Scheduling Release 6.0.1
Quite a few fixes have accumulated at this point, so releasing 6.0.1 seems worthwhile in the near future. Demian proposes a September 16 release, approximately two months after 6.0. There were no objections.
Zend Framework / Laminas Transition
No major news yet – still waiting for the Laminas code to drop. The getlaminas.org site still has not changed significantly since it was unveiled.
Browse Handler Optimizations
Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI)
Demian is continuing to make progress on email change logic (pull request #1401) – it's just waiting on some final approvals and testing.
3. Developers Summit
Ere and Demian met with André Lahmann, Sebastian Kehr and Dorian Merz to discuss issues of modularity for further elaboration at the German Summit. Possible goals include better local Composer support (i.e. VUFIND-1343), better alignment with standard Zend Framework template loading conventions (to allow other Zend components to play more nicely with VuFind's theming system) and progress on improved configuration management (PR #1141). This will be discussed in more detail at the German Summit and the Villanova roadmapping session.
On the subject of the roadmapping session, Demian has put together a 2019 Summit wiki page and proposed a schedule. There were no objections. Due to lack of interest in in-person attendance, the schedule is greatly reduced from previous years; this will hopefully be revitalized with the shift to WOLFcon.
On the subject of WOLFcon, the next event will be January 22-24, 2020 at Texas A&M University, with a $350 registration fee. Demian plans to attend and will be requesting time and space for VuFind-related meetings in case others will be there too.
4. Other Topics?
Mohan asked about the timeline for SDI; Demian hopes to complete it in time for release 6.1.
Mohan also emphasized the importance of training, documentation and improvement of ease of use of VuFind for less technical users (particularly to support growth in the developing world). Demian proposed that these matters should be discussed as part of the Summit roadmapping session, since there has been a decreasing number of feature/technical tasks over the past few years, and adding sustainability tasks seems a natural way to grow the plan and potentially engage more community members.
Ere reported that his experiments with upgrading to Solr 8.2 have been successful so far; Demian will set up a pull request to capture this work when time permits, though it is not urgent – the change will likely not be merged until work begins on 7.0.
Ere also mentioned that minimum Java version may need to be boosted at some point due to the age of Java 8 (though this is not yet a pressing matter); there was also some discussion of the Oracle licensing trap, and the need to continue to recommend OpenJDK to avoid hidden fees.
Mohan is working on a new version of the LiveDVD for VuFind and related library tools.
The next call will be Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 9am Eastern Daylight Time (13:00 GMT).