Table of Contents
VuFind Newsletter: February, 2020
Highlights / Executive Summary
VuFind 6.1 was released on schedule at the beginning of the month. Since that time, a few bugs have been found and fixed (so a 6.1.1 release will be forthcoming), and work on 7.0 has begun, with several outstanding pull requests being merged.
The work on migrating from Zend Framework to Laminas has reached a point of stability, and should be merged following the March Community Call, provided no one objects in the meantime. Once the Laminas update is merged, a pull request will be opened to begin tracking progress on migrating from Zend\Console to Symfony\Console as the mechanism for running command-line utilities.
The project to improve VuFind's theme has also ramped up, with significant work underway on improving accessibility and adding new view helpers to improve readability and extensibility of templates.
Finally, several ILS driver improvements have been made, including significant work on making the FOLIO driver fully functional as that project approaches more widespread adoption.
Recently Completed / Resolved Issues
The following items were completed in the past month:
- Aleph driver improvement: #1540
- Bug fix for broken AJAX record tabs when VuFind configured at site root in release 6.1: VUFIND-1378
- Bug fix for “debug on the fly”: VUFIND-1382
- Clarified error messages for email authentication: #1539
- Configurable options for how links from the link shortener redirect to full URLs: #1533
- Fix invalid schema.org attribute: #1554
- Fix PostgreSQL compatibility bug introduced by Zend\DB upgrade: VUFIND-1381
- Improve design of session handlers: #1506 / VUFIND-1355
- Rename EDS connector class (in preparation for Laminas migration): #1546
- Sitemap generator performance/accuracy/flexibility improvements: #1486
- Style/readability improvements to UpgradeController: #1553
- Template path view helpers: #1458
- Unpaywall improvement (include useful links even when PDFs are not available): #1547
- Upgrade to jQuery 3.4.1: #1497
- Upgrade to PHPUnit 8: #1548
Additionally, VUFIND-1383 was a request for technical support which was successfully resolved.
The following items were reported / begun in the past month, but are not yet completed:
Code in Progress
Issue Report / Discussion Only
- Need for ReCaptcha alternatives: VUFIND-1379
- Upgrade or replace ZfcRbac as part of Laminas migration: VUFIND-1380
The following items saw significant progress / activity during the past month:
- FOLIO driver improvements (fines, bug fixes, etc.): #1542
- KohaRest ILS driver implementation: #1016
- Laminas migration: #1537
- Migrate away from laminas-mvc-console: VUFIND-1273
- Overdrive: support new holds redelivery feature: VUFIND-1375
- Refactoring of template resolving logic: #1424