About Features Downloads Getting Started Documentation Events Support GitHub

Love VuFind®? Consider becoming a financial supporter. Your support helps build a better VuFind®!

Site Tools

Warning: This page has not been updated in over over a year and may be outdated or deprecated.

PMC Meeting: May 10, 2021

Attending: Oliver Goldschmidt, Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, André Lahmann, Ere Maijala, Craig Murdoch, Mohan Pradhan, Hajo Seng

1. Review of Action Items from Previous Meeting

  • Everyone: If you are not yet a GitHub Committer, please send your username to Demian so you can be added. DONE!
  • Chris: Revise code of conduct PR. DONE!
  • Demian: Merge PR #1890; remove “work in progress” status from roles page; draft membership page; share WOLFcon planning meeting details with interested parties. DONE!
  • Ere: Propose better starting point for pull request creation for new users. DONE!
  • Mohan: Draft sustainability document; coordinate with André on proofreading. Sustainability Draft: DONE! Proofreading: In Progress

2. Membership Levels and Benefits

Demian has drafted the Membership Levels and Benefits page as discussed last time.

Based on some feedback Hajo received from his organization, it was pointed out that donors may wish to feel more engagement with the project. How to accomplish this? One suggestion: a special session at the annual conference where donors can meet directly with the PMC to receive updates and discuss project direction. A special newsletter for donors might also be helpful (this could be as simple as the executive summary of the standard newsletter, slightly reframed, sent to a separate list of email addresses). Bottom line: donors want to stay informed, and we can accomplish this without undermining the meritocratic nature of development/decision-making.

Hajo will follow up and get feedback on these ideas. We can add some more specific benefits to the wiki page based on that feedback (and further discussion) next month.

3. WOLFcon

WOLFcon is going to be held June 1-3, 2021 as a virtual conference. Registration is now open. There will be two sessions featuring VuFind participation. Demian has proposed this breakdown:

VuFind Project Presentation:

  • 15 minutes: What is VuFind? (elevator pitch/tech breakdown/key features)
  • 15 minutes: What's new / what's next? (community, upcoming releases, etc.)
  • 15 minutes: Real world examples from community members (international success stories)
  • 15 minutes: Q&A

Hajo: talking about a community of seven libraries developing VuFind-based catalogs, made possible by pluggable extensions – focus on this community and the ability to adjust VuFind for particular needs of libraries.

Ere: will follow up with usage statistics, etc.

André: suggestion – put out call to community to share screen shots to create a mosaic of VuFind usage. (Demian will send message).

Training and Onboarding VuFind:

  • 15 minutes: VuFind onboarding (discuss communication channels, documentation, past/future practices)
  • 15 minutes: Developing a training course (discuss the experience of developing and running training)
  • 15 minutes: Q&A/discussion

4. Training Updates

André offered to help with proofreading some of Mohan's training materials.

Registration has opened for the webinar, to be held later this month, to present on the outcomes from the training courses.

This will be discussed further via email; it was decided not to use the full PMC's time to discuss in detail at this meeting.

5. Sustainability Document Discussion

Mohan submitted a first draft of his sustainability document.

Mohan requested biographical details and feedback from PMC members to understand how everyone can contribute to sustainability.

Ere and André emphasized the importance of maintaining documentation over time, and figuring out tools for maintaining/extending documentation.

Leila suggested incorporating a documentation step into the to-do list of building new features.

Demian mentioned challenges of managing documentation in open way vs. using closed documents for fund-raising.

Mohan mentioned use of training sessions as field-testing of updated documentation.

Upcoming webinars will offer a test of selling manuals; this will provide data on effectiveness of manual sales.

Action Items

  • André/Demian/Mohan: Continue discussion of documentation management, etc. (for further discussion next time).
  • Demian: Send out call to community for instances to be featured in WOLFcon presentation.
  • Hajo: Collect feedback on possible membership benefit ideas (newsletter / conference session).
  • All: Provide feedback on Mohan's sustainability document; share brief biographies for possible inclusion in the PMC page.
community/pmc_meetings/minutes20210510.txt · Last modified: 2021/05/10 15:44 by demiankatz