Table of Contents
PMC Meeting: October 11, 2021
Attending: Oliver Goldschmidt, Leila Gonzales, Demian Katz, André Lahmann, Ere Maijala, Mohan Raj Pradhan, Hajo Seng
Apologies: Chris Hallberg, Craig Murdoch, Leander Seige
1. Review of Action Items from Previous Meeting
- Mohan/Ere: Collaborate to review outstanding Koha OAI-PMH/plugin chapters. IN PROGRESS
- André/Demian/Mohan: Continue discussion of documentation management, etc. IN PROGRESS
- Demian: Continue moving OLF membership process forward. IN PROGRESS
- Demian: Consider incorporating a “Learning VuFind” book launch event into the Summit. DONE
- Leila: Update VuFind logo to contain ® mark. DONE
- Demian: Develop a wiki page about the VuFind trademark. DONE
1. Summit Planning
Demian has created a draft schedule and has set a deadline of 10/13 for speakers to request time slot changes. He will post the schedule on Wednesday.
2. VuFind Trademark
The logo has been updated (and the updated logo was included in the 8.0 release), and a trademark wiki page has been created. The Open Library Foundation is also using the updated logo now. Demian continues to expand inclusion of the symbol in the wiki as time permits.
We should discuss a strategy for approaching VuFind services vendors. (This will be a future meeting activity).
3. It Takes a Village Beta
Our two ITAV activities produced a lot of ideas that we should turn into actions.
Leila has already begun work on a user needs assessment survey based on our conversations (draft here). She is looking for help coming up with lists of answers. Please contribute to her Google doc. When ready, she will host the survey and share the results with us for dissemination. Mohan volunteered to assist with pre-testing (before wide release) and statistical analysis (after completion).
Some other possible items for the future:
- Develop a fundraising communication plan - after November resource planning
- Develop a documentation maintenance plan
- Investigate Dokuwiki enhancements (“old page” alerts, “page ownership” mechanism)
- Set up wiki analytics - Demian will begin working on this
- Set up video editing project in GitHub - Demian will set up board as a proof of concept
- Community Call restructuring / marketing
- “Good first issue” highlighting
- Improve VuFind installation list
- Outreach to forks for new feature contributions
- Marketing project (better VuFind definition, website improvements, etc.)
- Publication / presentation efforts related to PMC and sustainability
André and Demian have been making progress on the Learning VuFind book. Syntax highlighting and formatting for code blocks have been significantly improved, and PDF rendering is improved (but still not quite perfect). When the PDF formatting work in pull request #1 is finished, we should be able to make an official release. In the meantime, any review/proofreading others can do is welcomed.
André will continue investigating fixes this week, and will pass the baton to Demian to continue next week if he is unable to fully solve the problem.
5. OLF Update
No major news; still waiting for progress from Villanova's legal team.
6. Release Planning
Versions 8.0 and 8.0.1 have been released. Some bug fixes indicate that 8.0.2 will be needed as well. We should begin to prioritize major new features for 8.1. Ere suggested the possibility of skipping 8.1 so we can get right to work on 9.0, if there are no compelling new features on the roadmap. Demian suggested making this decision after the Summit roadmapping is complete.
7. Daylight Saving
There will be a time change in some regions prior to the next meeting. Further discussion will be required to ensure that all can participate in the meeting after time adjustments.
Mohan is continuing to work on setting up a shared index of open access content complete with SDI services, for initial use by VuFind members and eventual use by the general public. This will be announced in more detail in his Summit presentation next month.
- Mohan/Ere: Collaborate to review outstanding Koha OAI-PMH/plugin chapters.
- André/Demian/Mohan: Continue discussion of documentation management, etc.
- Demian: Continue moving OLF membership process forward.
- Demian: Set up web analytics on the vufind.org website/wiki.
- Demian: Set up video editing project board and share with Leila.
- ALL: Add suggested answers to Leila's survey draft.