About Features Downloads Getting Started Documentation Events Support GitHub

Site Tools


Warning: This page has not been updated in over over a year and may be outdated or deprecated.
community:pmc_meetings:minutes20221010

PMC Meeting: October 10, 2022

Attending: Oliver Goldschmidt, Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, André Lahmann, Ere Maijala, Craig Murdoch, Mohan Pradhan

Apologies: Leander Seige

1. Review of Action Items from Previous Meeting

  • Mohan: make further progress on updating Open Data Sources wiki pages. ONGOING
  • Leila: edit Summit 2022 video. DONE
  • Demian: reschedule the 10/4 community call to 10/11 due to German holiday. DONE
  • Demian: make the RSP logo available on the wiki. DONE
  • Demian: finalize RSP linking. DONE
  • Demian: send the RSP invitation email to all support vendors with available contact information; share a list of missing contact information with the group. DONE
  • Demian: resend Community Call survey draft to Leila. DONE
  • Leila: set up Community Call survey platform. DONE
  • Demian: reach out to OLF about translation platform. DONE
  • Jan: follow up regarding next interim Treasurer. NO NEWS
  • ALL: edit page ownership in the wiki for pages that you maintain (and feel free to assign pages on behalf of other users if/when appropriate – e.g. Demian does not object being assigned to pages by others). ONGOING

2. Video

Summit video is done – thanks to Leila for a very fast turnaround; people are already using and appreciating these recordings.

3. Documentation

Demian and Ere had a discussion on pull request #2519 about the need for a “production checklist” page where we list all the things that should be considered and configured before going into production (e.g. default texts that should be customized, common default configurations that people usually change – like the Sample ILS driver, etc.). We should start building this page and collectively decide where to put it and how to link it.

Thoughts on the “production checklist”:

  • Does this relate in any way to the VuFind for Project Managers page? Is that page worth updating/maintaining?
    • Discussion: yes, worth keeping; should link to production checklist from here (as well as other places).
  • We should add a link to this new page at the end of the Fedora and Ubuntu instructions. Does this replace the “Secure Your System” section, or follow it?
  • Things to include:
    • Header/footer customization (including customization of content of footer pages)
    • Reviewing non-default config settings (with some commonly-customized details, e.g. turning off top facets)
    • Common pitfalls (e.g. result limit, problems with first/last navigation, etc.)

Remaining assignments:

  • Demian: set up skeleton page for production checklist and link it
  • Demian: update project manager page
  • ALL: review/update production checklist page once it is created
  • Mohan: review/edit/update MeSH, DoAJ and PubMed Central pages; add NepJol page.
  • ALL: claim ownership of pages in the wiki, if you own them. You add ownership by editing the page – there is a box where you can enter your username near the bottom.

4. Release Planning

Tomorrow's Community Call will be our first attempt at release planning via ticket/PR review on the call.

5. Registered Service Provider Agreement

Demian sent out emails to all listed service provides and is keeping track of replies. Some follow-up is likely to be needed.

Demian will follow up with deadline for removal.

Progress is being made in on-boarding a second RSP.

6. Community Call Restructuring/Marketing

Leila published the survey, which will remain open until October 21. Demian will send a reminder on Monday, 10/17 to encourage further participation. 14 responses so far. Demian will also remind on the actual call tomorrow (10/11).

7. Translation Platform

Demian reached out to the OLF to ask about translation; they use Lokalise (a hosted solution that is free for open source projects) for FOLIO, and they have set up a test account for us to experiment with. Demian has pointed it at our GitHub, and it has already loaded in some values and includes some potentially actionable alerts (e.g. spelling/grammar warnings). However, there has not been time to investigate closely or determine how best to utilize the platform.

André volunteered to help; Demian will talk to OLF about access.

8. Possible Future Actions

Some other possible items for the future:

  • Develop a documentation survey
  • Develop a fundraising communication plan - after completion of Registered Service Provider work
  • Develop a documentation maintenance plan
  • “Good first issue” highlighting
  • Outreach to forks for new feature contributions
  • Marketing project (better VuFind definition, website improvements, etc.)
  • Publication / presentation efforts related to PMC and sustainability

For next time: brainstorm Documentation Survey.

For next time: discuss fundraising plan.

Other Items

There was some discussion about the interim Treasurer position now that Jan has departed. Demian is willing to fill in until we have news about Hajo's return, but requested that others think about possible candidates should Hajo be unavailable.

Action Items

  • Demian: update “VuFind for Project Managers” wiki page.
  • Demian: build skeletal “Production Checklist” page and link to appropriate places.
  • ALL: add detail to “Production Checklist” once Demian has shared the link.
  • Mohan: make further progress on updating Open Data Sources wiki pages.
  • ALL: edit page ownership in the wiki for pages that you maintain (and feel free to assign pages on behalf of other users if/when appropriate – e.g. Demian does not object being assigned to pages by others).
  • Demian: send follow-up messages to listed service providers (with deadline).
  • Demian: send reminders about Community Call survey.
  • Demian: provide access to VuFind's Lokalise account for André.
  • André: test access to Lokalise (once available) and investigate how platform could be utilized for the project (check accuracy of import, examine export options, etc.)
  • ALL: think about potential questions for the Documentation Survey (for discussion next month).
community/pmc_meetings/minutes20221010.txt · Last modified: 2022/10/10 15:33 by demiankatz