About Features Downloads Getting Started Documentation Events Support GitHub

Site Tools


Warning: This page has not been updated in over over a year and may be outdated or deprecated.
community:pmc_meetings:minutes20221212

PMC Meeting: December 12, 2022

Attending: Oliver Goldschmidt, Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, André Lahmann, Ere Maijala, David Maus, Mohan Pradhan

Apologies: Anne Christensen, Craig Murdoch, Leander Seige

1. Review of Action Items from Previous Meeting

  • ALL: submit signed Conflict of Interest policy acknowledgments to Demian for submission to the OLF. ONGOING
  • Mohan: make further progress on updating Open Data Sources wiki pages. ONGOING
  • Leila: create link to draft Documentation survey. DONE
  • Demian: add Community Call survey result report to next Community Call agenda. DONE
  • André/Demian: continue to work on pull request #2598 for lokalise compatibility. DONE
  • Oliver: investigate status of CINECA's VuFind support. DONE
  • ALL: think about fundraising strategies, and possible uses of raised funds, for continuation of fundraising conversation next time. DONE

2. Documentation

Leila posted a draft documentation survey. No one object to the draft, so Demian will distribute the link on January 9. We'll leave it open for a month, closing the week of February 6 for discussion at the February PMC meeting.

Mohan has shared some updated Koha installation documentation with Demian; Demian will work with other Villanova staff to get this formatted for the wiki and posted early in the new year. (At the moment, other projects are taking up most of his team's time, but they should be completed early in 2023).

Work is still pending on MeSH, DoAJ, PubMed Central and NepJol “open data sources” pages.

3. Conflict of Interest Policy

Demian has posted the Conflict of Interest Policy on the website, and has opened pull request #2653 to link to it from the governance document.

Several PMC members still need to submit signed COI policies; in some cases, there is still institutional discussion underway.

4. Translation Platform

Work was completed on pull request #2598. André did a test export from the platform and found that it formats quotes differently than VuFind expects; he has submitted a feature request to sort this out, but in the meantime, the standard language file normalization tooling can likely address any problems. More testing should be done.

5. Registered Service Provider Agreement

Chris gave the support web page a redesign to better accommodate more RSP logos “above the fold.”

Oliver's research suggests that CINECA no longer supports VuFind, so Demian has removed it from the list.

Equinox Open Library Initiative has become the third RSP (and the first in the United States) this month. Demian has retweeted the announcement via @vufindorg and will update the website later today.

Several other RSP payments are still pending; Demian will follow up when time permits.

6. Fundraising Communication Plan

Next planned “membership drive” – in tandem with next Summit, which in turn will likely be timed around the next WOLFcon.

Use of funds:

  • Support Open Library Foundation membership (benefits include Summit support, JIRA management, legal/sustainability support)
  • Support experimental new programs; possible ideas:
    • “Bug bounties” (or “responsible disclosure of vulnerabilities” rewards) or other small-scale pay-for-work programs
    • Funding of security audit / accessibility reviews / etc.
    • Conference “scholarships”? (e.g. pay to get developers physically together for collaboration)
    • Hiring project staff (high bar!)
    • Move more project resources (e.g. vufind.org) to the cloud?

André will investigate a security firm he has worked with in the past to get an idea of the cost of a security audit. If we can get an estimate, that could be used as a target in a fundraiser, and helps with feasibility determination.

7. Possible Future Actions

Some other possible items for the future:

Other Items

Demian was reminded while reviewing the governance document that everybody's first terms on the PMC will be expiring in April, 2023. If anyone does not plan to renew for another two years, they should let everyone know so we can begin to plan to fill open positions.

Action Items

  • ALL: submit signed Conflict of Interest policy acknowledgments to Demian for submission to the OLF.
  • ALL: review/comment on/approve Conflict of Interest changes to governance document: pull request #2653
  • ALL: consider whether to renew for a second PMC term when our two year anniversary arrives in April, 2023.
  • Demian: announce/distribute documentation survey on Monday, January 9.
  • Demian/Mohan: make further progress on updating Koha installation and Open Data Sources wiki pages.
  • André/Demian: continue investigation of lokalise platform for i18n.
  • Demian: add Equinox to RSP list on website.
  • Demian: follow up on pending RSP payments.
  • André: investigate potential costs of a security audit.
community/pmc_meetings/minutes20221212.txt · Last modified: 2022/12/12 15:34 by demiankatz