Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: May 27, 2014
Attending: Filipe Bento, Judy Brink-Drescher, Chris Fishburn, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Benjamin Mosior, Tod Olson, Sean Purcell
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-505 - Demian has implemented a default filter mechanism, finally resolving this ticket. There is still room for improvement in support of complex checkbox facets, but that is part of a larger issue of configuration file improvement.
- VUFIND-983 - This ticket features some discussion of the way searches are performed in the controllers; it is possible that no further action is needed.
- VUFIND-984 - This ticket proposes an item carousel for the home page.
- VUFIND-985 - This ticket shares some alterations to statistical tracking. Further discussion is needed to determine whether/how to use this code.
- VUFIND-986 - This ticket features some discussion about pre-determining whether API-based cover images are available when putting thumbnail links into pages.
- #155 - In progress: support for displaying checkbox filters on the advanced search screen.
Demian has been working on polishing up the EBSCO Discovery Service code and expects to merge it in soon.
2. Development Planning
Call Number Normalization
No updates this week.
Goals for 2.3 and 2.4
Demian made a call for feature requests for 2.3 so we can finalize that. There was also some discussion about raising PHP requirements for 2.4. Demian mentioned that beta packages for PHP 5.4 work well in RedHat Enterprise Linux 6, though he had to manually compile the mcrypt extension (no package available).
We discussed the possible theme upgrade to Bootstrap 3. Chris has some work in progress on GitHub. There was a question of when this upgrade should occur. Tod expressed preference for doing this in 2.3.
Chris mentioned that a lot of upgrade was completed with careful regular expressions – he will share some of these for others to use.
General plan: get work done by 2.3, include BS2-based theme as well as BS3-based theme for transition, but deprecate BS2 version and eliminate it in VuFind 2.4. We still need to discuss naming conventions for new themes.
Demian and Chris will also discuss implications for Villanova's website and share any outcomes with others who might be making similar migrations.
Chris will share web design prototypes with mailing list (didn't get to it since last call). He also pointed out a design document on the updated site.
Judy shared the idea of creating some fundamental marketing material on VuFind (targeted to management/layman) listing features, etc. Some examples:
Judy pointed out that the installations page needs some work and volunteered to take a first pass at an improved/updated version.
4. Other Topics?
Nothing further this week.
The next call will be Tuesday, June 10, 2014 at 10am Eastern Daylight Time (14:00 GMT).