About Features Downloads Getting Started Documentation Events Support GitHub

Site Tools


developers_call:minutes20160105

VuFind Developers Call Minutes: January 5, 2016

Attending: Filipe Bento, Matthias Edel, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Claas Kazzer

Agenda

1. Development Updates

JIRA Tickets

  • VUFIND-1140 - This ticket was opened to track the need for a cover image metadata API as discussed on the previous call.
  • VUFIND-1141 - This is a reminder to issue and upgrade to a new SolrMarc release prior to the next VuFind release in order to capture some important changes to the VuFindIndexer.
  • VUFIND-1142 - This ticket covers OCLC's xID service shutdown, which will affect most versions of VuFind.

Pull Requests

  • #535 - merged - Smarter processing of [Parent_Config] section of .ini files
  • #536, #537 - merged - Translation improvements.
  • #538 - merged - Progress on relator terms translation for improved author indexing PR.
  • #539 - in progress - Work on differentiating between holdings-level and item-level notes in the ILS driver response.
  • #540 - merged - Edge case fix for Tika/SolrMarc integration.
  • #541 - merged - Improvement to OJS import XSLT.
  • #542 - merged - Bug fix for Primo Central backend (based on recommendations from vendor).
  • #543 - merged - Improvement to handling of unknown statuses in AJAX item availability response.
  • #544 - merged - Added support for secure mail connections.
  • #545 - in progress - Work on applying hidden filters to search tabs (and integrating this with combined search)
  • #546 - in progress - Improvements to the Primo Central configuration file (use API URL instead of API ID + Port for configuration); awaiting review by more Primo Central users
  • #547 - merged - Minor OAI-PMH bug fixes.
  • #548 - merged - Minor EBSCO Discovery Service fixes/improvements.
  • #549 - merged - Workaround for a deprecation in the Yaml library used for reading searchspecs files.
  • Browse handler #18 - Improvements to the NACO normalizer from Tod Olson; will likely be merged very soon.

2. Development Planning

Release 2.5.1

It is time for a new point release to incorporate the “OCLC x-services shutdown” changes into an official release before the APIs go offline. (There are also several other bug fixes/translation expansions that might as well go along with them). Demian will work on this in the coming week.

Improved Author Indexing

André and Demian have been discussing author initials indexing and whether to include a custom SolrMarc function or use a Solr field-based solution. Demian will move forward with work on updating the SolrMarc function, but we can continue the discussion of the best overall solution when we have a larger group.

Delimited Facets

Luke O'Sullivan has finished developing this feature in PR #528. Demian will poll for feedback on vufind-tech.

Revised Dependency Management

Some glitches have been worked out on PR #501, and it seems like the new approach is now working for everyone who has tested it. Demian will create legacy branch with committed dependencies and then merge new-style handling to master.

Eliminate "VuFind" source in Database

Now that Demian has made database upgrading more convenient, we can merge PR #534 to clean up legacy database issues. Demian will take care of this soon.

Solr Upgrade

Demian changed TextFacetRaw to StrField following the previous call's discussion.

We're still waiting for testing of Solr 5.4 before doing further docValues investigation. 5.4.0 is now released, and Demian will update the solr5 branch in the near future.

Javascript Reorganization

Going very well. Mostly done and merged to master. Outstanding features: new lightbox design (will simplify code, but still has some problems that need to be worked through); VuFind object (adds namespacing to JS code; has been introduced in master, but more code can be moved inside it – work is ongoing).

Related: bootstrap3_list pull request should be merged soon.

Cover Issues

As noted above, Demian has opened a JIRA ticket (VUFIND-1140) to track the need for an API to retrieve additional cover details. Volunteers are still needed to actually begin work on design/development.

API

No news this week.

Modularization

No news this week.

Improved Use of Permissions

No news this week.

3. Wiki Reorganization

Demian has completed a substantial update/reorganization of the wiki to further de-emphasize 1.x-specific details (without removing them entirely) and to make way for VuFind 3 and later without the need for additional reorganization. Comments are welcome.

4. Other Topics?

No additional news this week.

Next Call

The next call will be Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 9am Eastern Standard Time (14:00 GMT).

developers_call/minutes20160105.txt · Last modified: 2016/01/05 14:25 by demiankatz