About Features Downloads Getting Started Documentation Events Support GitHub

Site Tools

Warning: This page has not been updated in over over a year and may be outdated or deprecated.

PMC Meeting: September 12, 2022

Attending: Oliver Goldschmidt, Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, André Lahmann, Jan Maas, Ere Maijala, Mohan Pradhan

Apologies: Craig Murdoch, Leander Seige

1. Review of Action Items from Previous Meeting

  • Mohan: make further progress on updating Open Data Sources wiki pages. ONGOING
  • Demian: set up struct plugin in Dokuwiki to allow page ownership mechanism. DONE
  • Demian: set up info@vufind.org email to forward to the PMC. DONE
  • Chris: Implement a page age warning in Dokuwiki using Javascript. DONE
  • Craig: finish designing RSP form (checkbox conversion, add CAPTCHA) and share CSS updates with Chris. DONE
  • Leila: draft an RSP logo. DONE
  • Demian: draft an email to share with current VuFind service providers. DONE
  • Demian: draft a Community Call survey. DONE

2. WOLFcon / VuFind Summit 2022

Both events took place prior to this meeting. We should make plans to prepare for next year's events.

In case anyone is interested, there is an open call for hosts for the next WOLFcon.

Video recordings from both days of the event have been uploaded to a shared folder so that Leila and/or Chris can begin editing them.

3. Documentation

Chris added a page age warning to the wiki as discussed previously.

Demian set up the struct plugin so that we can now assign page ownership to users. He created a Page Owners page summarizing assignments. Currently, this is the only page with an owner. Craig did some CSS work to make the property box at the top less intrusive. We can begin taking ownership of pages and regularly checking the table for outdated content.

Demian also added the “data tables” plugin and used it to make the installations page sortable. We can apply this behavior to other tables as needed.

During the Summit, Mohan proposed a documentation survey; this may be a good project to follow the Community Call survey.

Remaining assignments:

  • Mohan: review/edit/update MeSH, DoAJ and PubMed Central pages; add NepJol page.
  • ALL: claim ownership of pages in the wiki, if you own them. You add ownership by editing the page – there is a box where you can enter your username near the bottom.

4. OLF Update

Demian set up forwarding from info@vufind.org to members of this group. Nearly everyone has confirmed their email addresses, but please talk to Demian if you're not yet set up but wish to be.

The OLF has also set up standard manager@vufind.org, secretary@vufind.org and treasurer@vufind.org addresses for the officers. Demian has set up appropriate forwarding for these as well (though the Treasurer position is currently in flux, so it is currently forwarding only to Demian).

5. Release Planning

VuFind 8.1 went out on time. Now it is time to plan for 9.0. As discussed at the Summit, the hope is to begin using the Community Call to review outstanding 9.0-targeted tickets in JIRA and GitHub on a monthly basis to encourage greater progress.

André mentioned that the October 4 Community Call is adjacent to a German holiday which may impact participation; Demian will try to move it to the following week.

6. Registered Service Provider Agreement

Craig has completed the RSP form, and Leila has drafted the RSP logo (which was approved on this call). Demian has drafted a vendor email and revised it using feedback from Leila and Craig.

Demian has also taken care of adjusting the RSP form to mail to info@vufind.org and has tested that it works – we have received our first RSP (effective WEBWORK)!

Next steps:

  • Link to RSP agreement from support page and GitHub.
  • Send the vendor email to known contacts, and share list of unknown contacts - DK.

7. Community Call Restructuring/Marketing

Demian drafted a survey and shared it with the group. Demian will reshare survey draft with Leila and she will put together a working link.

8. Translation Platform

One of our volunteer translators suggested the use of a translation platform. After our failed attempt to collaborate with Translatewiki (which failed because we lost and could not reestablish contact with the platform maintainers), it may be time to revisit this issue. Ere mentioned that Koha uses Pootle (an open source platform). Matomo uses Weblate (also open source, but with hosted service available). FOLIO uses Lokalise (apparently a paid service). Transifex was also mentioned, though it hasn't received very positive feedback (based on limited experience). As a first step, Demian will reach out to OLF and see if a standard solution might exist now or in future.

9. Possible Future Actions

Some other possible items for the future:

  • Develop a documentation survey
  • Develop a fundraising communication plan - after completion of Registered Service Provider work
  • Develop a documentation maintenance plan
  • “Good first issue” highlighting
  • Outreach to forks for new feature contributions
  • Marketing project (better VuFind definition, website improvements, etc.)
  • Publication / presentation efforts related to PMC and sustainability

Other Items

Jan will be moving to a new position at a different organization; we will need to identify a new interim treasurer. Jan is trying to find a candidate before he departs.

Action Items

  • Mohan: make further progress on updating Open Data Sources wiki pages.
  • Leila: edit Summit 2022 video.
  • Demian: reschedule the 10/4 community call to 10/11 due to German holiday.
  • Demian: make the RSP logo available on the wiki.
  • Demian: finalize RSP linking.
  • Demian: send the RSP invitation email to all support vendors with available contact information; share a list of missing contact information with the group.
  • Demian: resend Community Call survey draft to Leila
  • Leila: set up Community Call survey platform
  • Demian: reach out to OLF about translation platform
  • Jan: follow up regarding next interim Treasurer
  • ALL: edit page ownership in the wiki for pages that you maintain (and feel free to assign pages on behalf of other users if/when appropriate – e.g. Demian does not object being assigned to pages by others).
community/pmc_meetings/minutes20220912.txt · Last modified: 2022/09/12 15:51 by demiankatz