Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: March 1, 2016
Attending: Filipe Bento, Chris Delis, Matthias Edel, Oliver Goldschmidt, Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Claas Kazzer, André Lahmann, Jochen Lienhard, Jay Roos
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-1147 - Closed as “cannot reproduce” after further discussion.
- VUFIND-1148 - Resolved: autocomplete behavior has been adjusted to prevent mouse hover from changing the behavior of hitting Enter while typing in search terms.
- VUFIND-1149 - Reports a bug in lightbox login behavior (incorrect lightbox content displayed if a user clicks “login” after already having logged in in a different tab); this has now been fixed in master.
- VUFIND-1151 - This ticket proposes a minor fix to the HorizonXMLAPI ILS driver; it will be merged after a couple of weeks of waiting for feedback (unless a problem is found).
- VUFIND-1152 - This ticket reports a login CSRF vulnerability. Demian has implemented a fix.
- #592 - merged - PrimoCentral backend bug fix.
- #598 - in progress - Progress on updating to the latest Zend Framework.
- #600 - merged - Make storage retrieval requests and ILL requests behave consistently with holds/recalls upon success (display message with link to list of requests, instead of auto-redirecting to list).
- #604 - merged - Pass extra information to embedded link resolver template to allow more targeted local customization.
- #605 - merged - Improvement to AJAX error handlers.
- #606 - merged - New VoyagerRestful driver feature: optionally block “available for pickup” holds from being canceled.
- #608 - in progress - some initial work on a system for dealing with denied permissions (much still to do – this is intended for discussion and experimentation)
- #612 - in progress - This reports a Shibboleth auth problem; Demian will investigate soon.
2. Development Planning
Improved Author Indexing
Still waiting for SolrMarc release; will discuss at Code4lib next week.
Solr 5.5 has been released, which fixes more bugs and restores the missing caching functionality that set off the whole docValues conversation. Demian has done some performance testing and hasn't noticed dramatic benefits from docValues (but this may be a flaw in his tests rather than a real indication that docValues are unimportant). In any case, it appears that the time to merge the solr5 branch to master may be soon. Demian will continue cleaning up remaining TODO items on the PR.
The top-level VuFind namespace has been simplified (and initialized earlier, so it's easier to hook extensions into it). Work continues on improved lightbox functionality.
Chris has a list of front-end improvements he's investigating for 3.0 to modernize development workflow, organization, etc. If you have preferences for best practices, please let Chris know.
No updates this time.
No updates this time.
Next ZF Version
Demian began work on a ZF 2.5 branch; there is a serious issue in the latest version of Zend\Feed that breaks our RSS functionality. Demian has submitted a PR to the component's repo but hasn't gotten word back yet. For now, we are working around the problem by pinning an earlier version of the component in composer.json. Additionally, composer.json has been revised to pin all of the versions of individual ZF2 components used by VuFind, instead of loading the framework as a whole, to eliminate unnecessary dependencies and to enable greater control over which versions are loaded.
Improved Use of Permissions
Oliver and Demian have continued discussing this; pull request #608 contains some work in progress.
Session Performance Improvement
Demian has continued work on PR #584 and believes that he has come up with a mechanism for improving performance without risk of breaking old code (at the cost of some complexity, including the introduction of a VuFind\Session\Settings object which allows a lower-cost replacement for the old writeSession() controller method. He would like to merge this soon but will allow a little more time for review/comment.
Release Date for 2.5.3/3.0
Demian suggested that we should issue a 2.5.3 release prior to 3.0 in order to get known PHP 7 compatibility improvements (and a few more bug fixes) into the 2.5.x series prior to focusing entirely on the new major version. This could be scheduled to happen in parallel with 3.0 or slightly before.
Demian proposed Monday, April 25 for 3.0 with tentative feature freeze on April 4 (with room to slide schedule slightly if necessary).
3. Other Topics?
Demian reminded everyone that he will be at Code4lib next week and plans to run a breakout session.
Chris D. and Demian discussed indexing holdings data from Voyager using SolrMarc's record combination features; see this wiki page for details.
Next time: Leila Gonzalez on enhancements to geographic functionality.
The next call will be Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 9am Eastern Daylight Time (13:00 GMT).