Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: April 12, 2016
Attending: Matthias Edel, Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, André Lahmann, Jochen Lienhard, Brad Patton, Jay Roos
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-1161 - This ticket documents a PrimoCentral problem (no VuFind workaround yet; waiting for feedback from Ex Libris).
- VUFIND-1162 - This ticket describes a lightbox-related bug in master; it has been fixed.
- VUFIND-1164 - This ticket was opened to keep track of notes on special cases for the next major translation cycle.
- #658 - merged - Adjustments to the display of pickup locations when placing and displaying holds.
- #659 - in progress - Adds a Gruntfile to automate Node-related tasks; opened for discussion purposes.
- #660 - merged - Minor bootstrap3 theme fixes.
- #661 - merged - Minor fix to DynamicRoleProvider.
- #662 - merged - Reverted broken Primo Central batch loading logic.
- #663 - merged - Made advanced search URLs more tolerant of missing parameters (default to AND operator).
- #664 - merged - Truncate long values upon insert into resource table for better compatibility with strict length checks in database.
- #665 - merged - Primo Central bug fix.
- #666 - merged - Improved handling of ILS exceptions (for better user feedback).
- #668 - merged - New optional feature: jump directly to record when only one match found in search results.
- #670 - merged - Add hostname to detailed exception messages (to help troubleshooting in load-balanced scenarios).
- #671 - merged - Improvements to Aleph ILS driver.
- #674 - merged - Broader support for case-sensitive Unix locale names.
- #676 - merged - Fixes/enhancements for XCNCIP2 ILS driver.
- #677 - merged - Syntax fixes for searchspecs.yaml (for compatibility with newer, stricter YAML parsing library).
After slight delays, code was frozen on April 6. The frozen code can be found in the release-3.0 branch, where only bug fixes and translation updates will be applied. New features can still be developed in master, but they will not be released until 3.1 or 4.0 (whichever comes next).
2. Development Planning
All major work is now done, so we will drop this item from the agenda. However, we should continue to discuss front end improvements on a regular basis.
Things to do:
- Discuss Grunt
- Finish “bootstrap3-list” pull request
- Fix the “two search boxes for responsiveness” problem
- Settle on code styling (see suggested reading)
André would like to do more work with Grunt and hopes to look into it in a month or so. Work on updating the Foundation5 theme is underway; the branch will be updated to match release-3.0 in the near future.
Next ZF Version
Improved Use of Permissions
Improved Geographic Features
Some discussion by email after last call. Next steps: add geographic fields to Solr schema and standardize map display to use OpenLayers instead of Google Maps. Leila will begin working on some of this soon (new geographic project with a 3.0 base) and will probably have more to say next time.
3. Other Topics?
Git PR Tagging
Chris brought up the idea of standardizing our pull request labels so we can better keep track of when things are expected to be merged, who is supposed to be taking next steps, etc.
Starting point: bug fix vs. new feature vs. discussion.
One specific scenario: PR is submitted, but submitter never follows up on Demian's feedback, and Demian doesn't have time to fix it himself. Chris will look for a good precedent for naming for a tag for this situation.
- awaiting reply - The VuFind dev team eagerly await the submitter's feedback.
- breaking - This PR contains code that will likely cause some backwards compatibility problems.
- bugfix - This branch deals with fixing a found bug.
- discussion - Your opinion would be greatly appreciated!
- improvement - Code focused on improving a currently existing feature.
- new feature - Code focused on exploring new areas of functionality
- on hold - This branch has to wait for something, usually another PR or something out of our control (ZF3).
- question - An answer from the VuFind dev team is eagerly awaited.
When using these tags, including a comment or a description that explains the status is welcome and encouraged (especially with on hold and breaking).
The next call will be Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 9am Eastern Daylight Time (13:00 GMT).