Table of Contents
Many features of VuFind can be customized without changing any code. This page should help guide you through.
The list of configuration files will provide an overview of available options.
Understanding VuFind's “local settings directory” concept will help you manage your configurations.
Most users should take a look at these configuration options, as they are the most commonly used.
- Alphabetical Heading Browse - How to activate traditional OPAC-style heading browsing.
- Authentication - Managing authentication options.
- Autocomplete - Provide real-time, context-sensitive suggestions.
- Book Previews - Linking to third-party pages that show the inside of books.
- Call Number Configuration - Dealing with Dewey vs. LC call numbers.
- Channels - Allow users to explore your collection in a non-linear way.
- Collecting Usage Statistics - Measuring user behavior.
- Combining Search Types - Offering results from multiple data sources (Solr, Summon, WorldCat, etc.)
- Connecting to Third-Party Content - Getting VuFind talking to Summon, WorldCat, etc.
- Course Reserves - Displaying course/instructor-specific reserves.
- Email Alerts - Notify users of new search results; “selective dissemination of information.”
- Real-Time ILS Integration - Take full advantage of your existing integrated library system.
- Search Result Highlighting - Help explain search results by highlighting matched terms.
- Soliciting User Feedback - Receive feedback/communication from your users.
- Static Pages - Create informational pages within your instance.
- Stop Words and Synonyms - Improve search results by giving certain words special treatment.
- Tracking Record Changes - Special features needed for optimal RSS and OAI-PMH server support.
- Use of External Content - Cover images, reviews, excerpts, biographies, etc.
This section covers more specialized customizations that are of interest to a smaller group of users but may still be useful.
- Deduplication - How to set up support for deduplicated records.
- EZproxy Configuration - EZproxy settings for external links and EZproxy user authentication.
- Geographic Features - How to set up and configure the geographic search and display interface.
- Hierarchies and Collections - How to set up hierarchical document structures in your index.
- Indexing Websites - Using VuFind to index a website.
- Record Caching - Storing copies of records in the local database for future reference.
- Using Solr Shards - How to combine results from multiple Solr servers.
- Using Permission options - Configuring the behavior of pages if a permission has been denied.
- Using VuFind as the Site Root - Configuring VuFind to reside at the domain level rather than in a directory.
- Using VuFind without Solr - VuFind is most commonly used with a local Solr index, but it can also serve as a front-end for other services.