Table of Contents
VuFind Developers Call Minutes: August 2, 2016
Attending: Leila Gonzales, Demian Katz, André Lahmann, Brad Patton
1. Development Updates
- VUFIND-1196 - This ticket reports a Solr problem in VuFind 1.4; it is likely that no action is needed in the current master code, so Demian will close it once discussion of the problem is completed.
- #761 - in progress - This was created for testing (and tracking issues with) the major new SolrMarc revision (see below).
- #762 - in progress - New setting to control the book preview behavior that currently always links cover thumbnails to book preview URLs.
- #763 - in progress - This was created for testing use of eDismax as VuFind's primary search mechanism (a default that we are currently considering changing in release 3.1).
- #764 - in progress - Fixes for tag case sensitivity problems.
- #767 - merged - Correction to the address of the Free Software Foundation in the license comments on all source files.
This went out on time, as planned.
2. Development Planning
- see PR #659
- Demian has begun testing this and will work with Chris to get a first draft in place soon; among other things, waiting for feedback from existing Grunt users to be sure we can introduce the feature without messing up local existing Gruntfiles.
- see PR #757
- Currently working through some finishing touches and trying to decide on the best balance between compatibility (guaranteed to work the same as having no pipeline) vs. speed (maximum HTTP optimization, with risk of errors in certain edge cases).
- see PR #693 for progress
- Demian has begun brainstorming the model for dynamically adding more channels to the screen; see PR for details.
General Status Update
As noted above, PR #764 addresses tag case sensitivity issues discussed in VUFIND-1187. We should be able to merge this soon, but feedback on whether to make tags case sensitive or insensitive by default would be appreciated in the meantime.
We should identify future areas of modularization.
Next ZF Version
Improved Use of Permissions
Improved Geographic Features
PR #722 is continuing to be developed. Most recent focus has been on Google compatibility and fixing API problems (related to a new key requirement).
Please test out pull request #761 and provide feedback on the new SolrMarc version.
Demian has begun investigating alternatives to bundling Solr in VuFind's git repository in an effort to reduce repository bloat. Initial experiments using Ivy have not been successful, and further investigation suggests it is really not the right tool for the job.
If Ivy cannot be used, another option is downloading Solr from Apache through the Phing build.xml instead of bundling it.
Once we've come up with a new approach (or decided to stick with the old one), Demian will set aside some time to begin a solr6 branch for testing/experimentation.
3. Institutional Home, Revisited
4. VuFind Summit 2016
Work continues on coordination of the video conference with Germany.
5. Other Topics?
Demian will be unable to attend the next call, so Chris will run it in his place.
The next call will be Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 9am Eastern Daylight Time (13:00 GMT).