About Features Downloads Getting Started Documentation Events Support GitHub

Site Tools


developers_call:minutes20161025

VuFind Developers Call Minutes: October 25, 2016

Attending: Matthias Edel, Leila Gonzales, Chris Hallberg, Demian Katz, Jochen Lienhard, Ere Maijala

Agenda

1. Development Updates

JIRA Tickets

  • VUFIND-1201 - The cart issues reported here have now been fixed (will be in 3.1.1).
  • VUFIND-1202 - The SolrMarc problem reported here has been fixed (will be in 3.1.1).
  • VUFIND-1203 - This reports an IE11-specific bug related to advanced facet features; it has been fixed, and the fix will be part of release 3.1.1.
  • VUFIND-1204 - This reports a notice caused by a minor incompatibility between EDS and the new geographic features; a fix will be in 3.1.1.
  • VUFIND-1205 - This reports a Horizon ILS driver issue.

Pull Requests

  • #810, #820, #833, #838, #839 - merged - Koha fixes/improvements
  • #811 - merged - Javascript refactoring for increased flexibility
  • #812 - merged - Minor JS style correction (reimplementation of previous pickup location fix)
  • #813 - merged - Minor fix for record tab handling
  • #814 - in progress - The proposed refactoring to switch from “two search boxes for responsive design” to “one search box for simplicity.”
  • #815 - in progress - Work on simplifying the way VuFind handles account blocks in relation to requests (holds, etc.)
  • #816 - merged - Style improvement for templates (short array syntax)
  • #817 - merged - Minor bug fix for geographic code (do not leave info pop-up open after switching tabs)
  • #818 - merged - EZProxy authentication handler
  • #819 - in progress - A first pass at a search/record API for VuFind.
  • #821 - in progress - A possible way of configuring different dynamic cover generation options for different sizes of covers.
  • #822 - merged - Fix to Piwik integration
  • #823 - merged - New config setting to set labels for facets found outside of the normal top/side/advanced facet lists
  • #824 - in progress - Proposed simplifications to VuFind's CLI routing implementation.
  • #825 - in progress - Proposed improvements to the EDS record driver to allow export implementation to work properly.
  • #826, #829 - in progress - Proposals to simplify templates displaying tabular record information with the help of a view helper, template refactoring and a more declarative approach.
  • #827 - in progress - Discussion about the best place/mechanism for VuFind roadmapping (discussed below).
  • #828 - merged - Make SMS functionality configurable (allow it to be turned off)
  • #830 - merged - Minor improvements to JS autocomplete library
  • #831 - merged - Allow password recovery to take place in the lightbox
  • #832 - in progress - A proposed mechanism for controlling embedded records using custom links
  • #834 - merged - CSRF fix for ChoiceAuth authentication
  • #835 - merged - Make lightbox behavior configurable through data attributes for improved customization options
  • #836 - merged - Work on fixing an incompatibility between facet collapse memory and hierarchical facets
  • #837 - closed - Possible workaround for a bug introduced by #835; eventually solved by addressing the bug directly.
  • #840 - merged - More work to avoid possible lightbox edge case bugs related to discussion on #835
  • #841 - in progress - IE Javascript compatibility fixes.

2. Development Planning

Roadmapping Strategies

We agreed to try the GitHub Projects interface as an experiment. If it has shortcomings, we will revisit. Demian will try populating the project from the Summit document.

Breaking Up Templates

Demian will close 826 and will spend more time working on 829 to clean up some things and add tests.

API

Demian will do one more review, and then we can probably merge this to master.

Channels

Some good ideas were raised at the Summit. Demian has updated the to-do list and hopes to make progress soon.

Modularization

No news.

Next ZF Version

No news. We agreed at Summit to raise PHP requirement to 5.6; this will allow us to move forward.

Improved Use of Permissions

No news.

Solr 6

No news. We can move forward on this soon due to Summit agreement on raising Java requirement to 1.8 and using new “download Solr dynamically with Phing” technique.

Last Call for Deprecation Objections

If no one objects, we will remove jquerymobile, built-in statistics, Google Maps support, and the BeanShell example scripts very soon.

Release 3.1.1

The first bug fix release should go out soon. We will release on 10/31.

Praise

General call for positive quotes about VuFind to update the website; existing quotes are many years old. Demian suggested checking Judy's Charleston Review article for useful quotes.

Other Front End Updates

"One search box" proposal

There has been some discussion about whether we should switch from classes to ids on search boxes now that we have only one box. This offers some minor performance benefits but may break some compatibility (though we couldn't find many people taking advantage of two boxes in the wild). For now: cautious approach, keep classes; consider switching to IDs in future.

Minor Improvement to Autocomplete

#830 allows users to pass a static list of values to the autocomplete library and match against that, instead of using AJAX. This is not used for any native VuFind features but may be valuable to some local customizations. Documented in the pull request and the separate autocomplete repo.

3. Institutional Home

Investigation is ongoing.

4. Daylight Saving

Remember that it's daylight saving season, so relative times may fluctuate over the next few weeks. Please mark your calendars carefully!

5. Other Topics?

None this time.

Next Call

The next call will be Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 9am Eastern Standard Time (14:00 GMT).

developers_call/minutes20161025.txt · Last modified: 2016/10/25 13:33 by demiankatz